Recitation6Solutions

Recitation6Solutions - Steven Weber Dept. of ECE Drexel...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Steven Weber Dept. of ECE Drexel University ENGR 361: Statistical Analysis of Engineering Systems (Spring, 2008) Recitation 6 Solutions (Friday, May 9) Answer one of the following two questions. Cross out the question you do not want graded. Question 1. A small fishing boat catches 25 fish on a given day. Each fish is of one of two types: sparkly or plain. A fish is sparkly with probability of 20% , or plain with probability 80% . Please do the following: 1. Using the tables, compute the probability that the number of sparkly fish, X , caught by the fishing boat is between 3 and 7, i.e., P (3 X 7) . X Bin(25 , . 2) , P (3 X 7) = P ( X 7)- P ( X 3) = B (7 , 25 , . 2)- B (3 , 25 , . 2) = . 891- . 234 = 0 . 657 (1) 2. Give the mean and variance for the number of sparkly fish caught by the fishing boat. E [ X ] = np = 25 . 20 = 5 , Var( X ) = np (1- p ) = 25 . 2 . 8 = 4 . (2) 3. Sparkly fish sell for $100 while plain fish sell for $1 . Define the rv Y to be the total sale value of the catch...
View Full Document

Page1 / 2

Recitation6Solutions - Steven Weber Dept. of ECE Drexel...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online