esm23 19 - Reading - Diavik Field Guide

esm23 19 - Reading - Diavik Field Guide - THE DIAVIK...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Bryan, D. and Bonner, R. 2003: The Diavik Diamond Mine, Lac de Gras, Northwest Territories, Canada; in VIIIth International Kimberlite Conference, Slave Province and Northern Alberta Field Trip Guidebook, B. A. Kjarsgaard (ed.); p. 61-65. THE DIAVIK DIAMOND MINE, LAC DE GRAS, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES, CANADA D. Bryan and R. Bonner Diavik Diamond Mines, 5007 50 th Avenue, Yellowknife, NWT, Canada X1A 2P8 INTRODUCTION The Diavik Diamond Mine is an unincorporated joint ven- ture between Diavik Diamond Mines Inc. and Aber Diamond Mines Ltd., both headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Diavik Diamond Mines Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto plc of London, England, is the project operator and retains a 60 % interest in the project. Aber Diamond Mines Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Aber Diamond Corporation of Toronto, holds the remaining 40 % interest in the project. The partners retain the right to receive and market their share of all diamonds produced at the mine. The Diavik Mine is located 300 km northeast of Yellowknife, NWT. This remote site, located within the sub- Arctic “barren lands”, is most easily accessed by aircraft, and is linked in winter months by a temporary “ice road” to Yellowknife. The mine infrastructure is contained on the 20 sq. km. East Island, which is located in the eastern end of Lac de Gras (Fig. 1). The four project kimberlites, located beneath shallow waters immediately east of the island, will be mined over a twenty-year period. Access to the A154 South and A154 North kimberlites was enabled through the construction of a temporary dike (Fig. 2). Similar dikes are planned for the A418 and A21 kimberlites. The Diavik proj- ect includes 263,000 ha under mineral claims and mining leases. Sixty-three kimberlite occurrences, approximately 50% of them diamond bearing, have been located on the property. Staged exploration programs are on-going through- out the property. The current Diavik resource includes the A154 South, A154 North, A418, and A21 kimberlites. Both the A154 South and A154 North kimberlites will initially be mined by open pit methods from the A154 open pit. Open pits, begin- ning in 2009 and 2013 respectively, will develop the A418 and A21 kimberlites. Underground mining is also planned for the A154 South and A418 kimberlites. Infrastructure development and mine construction began in 2000 following regulatory approvals. Initial recovery of the A154 South kimberlite began in November 2002, and by January 2003 had reached sufficient production level to allow the first dia- monds to be delivered to the project partners, several months ahead of schedule. Ramp up to full production is continuing. The project is within the C$1.3 billion capital budget.
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.
  • Winter '08
  • Diamond, Kimberlite, Diavik Diamond Mine, Volcanoclastic Kimberlite Black Macrocrystic Volcanoclastic Kimberlite Volcanoclastic Kimberlite Magnetic, Volcanoclastic Kimberlite Kimberlite Tuff Volcanoclastic Kimberlite, Volcanoclastic Kimberlite Kimberlite

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern