TheTrueCostFilmReflection - Maryssa Chavez Lance Coggeshell...

This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 7 pages.

Maryssa Chavez, Lance Coggeshell, Matthew Howard, Alyx Kunz, Mary McDonald INTS-101-001 Dr. Tawisil, A. The True Cost: Film Reflection The documentary “True Cost” draws a link between consumer pressure for low-cost fashion and the lives of the sweatshops workers who produces those goods. The objective of the film is to educate the public about the clothes they wear, the people who make these clothes and the impact it is having on our world. The goal of this film to change the audience's perspective about the fashion industry. Most people base their decision to buy something on the price, style or access to a good deal. However the production of a piece of clothing is much more than that. The fashion industry is a network that stretches across the entire world. It is a continuous cycle of the production with 52 seasons a year. The fashion industry is growing exponentially, going from 4 seasons a year to 52 seasons. Fast fashion offers a continuous stream of new merchandise to the market (Li, Y., Zhao, X., Shi, D., & Li, X.). Most of our clothing used to be made in America, up to 95%. Today the United States produces only about 3%. That leaves the rest of the 97% to be outsourced to places like Bangelish, futher expanding the fast fashion cycle. Throughout the documentary emotion evoking scenes are showed. On April 2016, an 8 story building in Bangladesh, 400 hundred died, many were trapped under the rumble and never found. Scenes of families searching for lot family members in the rubble of a collapsed production building. Not only are the factory workers experiencing safety hazards but a given a wage that is barely livable. Low wages of about $2 a day keep going down, if one factory demands an increase in wages then the brand will go to a cheaper factory. The documentary does 1
Image of page 1

Subscribe to view the full document.

not choose to only tell the story of the harsh lives of factory workers but instead portrays it, exactly as it is: dangerous and even deadly working conditions and decreasing wages. “I don’t want anyone wearing anything which is produced by our blood,” Shima Akhter says, wiping away tears during one of the film’s most poignant moments. This showcases the fact that the rising cost of textile manufacturing is human dignity and human life. They are not measured in profit and loss statements, but the losses are devastating on many levels. The film highlights the plight of garment workers, and the moral dilemma of factory owners who can lose business if they do not concede to the low-ball demands of the powerful fashion brands.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
  • Fall '16
  • Dr. Amina Tawasil
  • Factory, true cost

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern