x26 assignment 9 - How do surgery, radiation and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
How do surgery, radiation and chemotherapy work in a complementary manner in treating a patient with cancer? Surgical resection aims at removing about 99% of the tumor cells the remaining 1% of the most recently produced tumor cells must be exposed to alternative treatments such as chemotherapy. For example, with breast cancer radiation can be used to destroy cancer cells in the breast or in the supraclavicular or internal mammary lymph nodes after surgery or with advanced small lung cancer that has spread to adjacent nodes. Clinical trials show a definite increase in the prognosis of survival rates when combined treatments are used in anal and esophageal cancers. Surgery alone appears to leave a higher risk for local reoccurrence. Management with multiple therapies is definitely promising with synergistic drug-radiation interactions and for eradication of occult metastases that began before or during another treatment. It is also complementary for the patient's well-being for the future depending on the anatomical location. For laryngeal cancer doctors may use surgery to remove lesions and the radiation for the rest of the
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 08/26/2008 for the course X 26 taught by Professor Chen during the Summer '08 term at University of California, Berkeley.

Page1 / 2

x26 assignment 9 - How do surgery, radiation and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online