{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Question set 1 Answers 1.4

Question set 1 Answers 1.4 - (6(5 points Which data are...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: (6.) (5 points) Which data are more variable: a collection of tree diameters with a mean of 12.7 inches and a variance of 9.9 inches2 or a collection of mole densities with a mean of 8.7 moles per acre and a standard deviation of 4.4 moles per acre? (Justify your answer, no guessing allowed) Since the units of measure dzfler between the two datasets, we must calculate the caefiicients of variation (C Vs) C V = standard deviation divided by the mean times [00% M 12.7 x100% : 24.78% C Vfor the diameters equals C V for the moles per acre equals %x 100% = 50.57% Therefore, the moles per acre are more variable (7.) (4 points) When taking satellite imagery of a forest, there is a 70% chance the sky will be definitely be clear enough (i.e. no clouds) for the sensor to capture an image of the forest and a 30% chance the sky might be clear enough (clouds are present) to capture an image of the forest. When the sky is clear enough for the imagery, there is a 98% chance the sensor will function properly. When clouds are present though, there is a 20% chance the sensor will function properly. . What is the probability the sensor will fimction properly? P(sensorfimctions) : P(sensorfi4nctions and clear sky) + P(sensorfimctians and 01014051 sky) :[P(clear sky) 1 P(sensorfimctions given clear Sky)] + [P(elouds) x P(sensorfimclions given clouds) ] :[0 70 x 0.98] + [0.30 x 0.20] : 0.746 ...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online