The Monetary System 7 - 7 The money creann pm Suppcae First...

This preview shows page 1 - 4 out of 4 pages.

Image of page 1

Subscribe to view the full document.

Image of page 2
Image of page 3

Subscribe to view the full document.

Image of page 4

Unformatted text preview: 7. The money creafinn pm Suppcae First Main Street Bank, Second Republic Bank, and Third Fidelity Bank all have zere exoeai raerva. The required raerve ratio is 10%. The Federal Reserve buys a govemment bond worth $250,000 fi'orn Andrew, a client of First Main Street Bank. He deposits the mone'lcr into his checking account at First Main Street Bank. Complete the faikmmg table to reflect any changes in First Marin Street Bank's T—acmunt (before the tank makes any new bans). Asset: Lilhilies Reserves 1" 5250.000 1' Deposits 1' $250,000 a! Cornflfetethefaikamgtabietashawtheefi'ectafanewdepasitan excessandrequflredreserves when therewflredreserveratmis 10%. Hint: If the change is negative, be sure to enter the value as negative number. Amount Deposilaed Change in Excess Reserves Change in Required Reserves (Dollars) ( Dollars ) ( Dollars ) 250,000 225,000 V’ 25,000 V’ Explanation: “Pointy—1,11 Close Explanation A Because the required reserve ratio is 10%, First Main Street Bank is required to hold 10% of its fresh reserves {that is, the initial deposit). Since 10% of $250,000 is $25,000, this means that First Main Street Bank's required reserve has increased by $25,000. The remaining 90% of the fresh reserves, or $225,000, is excess reserves and can be used to make loans. Now, suppose First Main Street Bank loans out all of its new excess reserves to Teresa, who immediately uses the funds to write a check to Sam. Sam deposits the funds immediately into his checking account at Second Republic Bank. Then Second Republic Bank lends out all of its new excess reserves to Darnell, who writes a check to Beth, who deposits the money into her account at Third Fidelity Bank. Third Fidelity lends out all of its new excess reserves to Eleanor in turn. Flll ln the followlng table to show the effect of th ls ongolng chaln of events at each bank. Enter each answer to the nearest dollar. Increase in Deposils Increase in Required Reserves Increase in Loans {Dollars} (Dollars) (Dollars) First Main street Bank 250,000 J EJ 225,000 J Second Republic Bank 225,000 v’ Eli 202,500 v’ Third Fidelity Bank 202,500 v’ E]! 182,250 v’ fiPoints:_1,!1 Assume this prooas continua, with each suooasive loan deposited into a checking account and no hanks keeping any exoas merws. Under thae msumptions, the $250,000 injection into the money supply results in an oveiall increase of $2,500,000 9' in demand deposits. ...
View Full Document

  • Spring '09
  • NERVO
  • Monetary Policy, Federal Reserve System, Fractional-reserve banking, Main Street Bank, First Main Street Bank, ECON-2301

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern