MidTerm04C - Mid Term Exam PHIL / ENGR 482 Fall 2004, AM...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Mid Term Exam – PHIL / ENGR 482 – Fall 2004, AM Version Name: _________________________________ Section Number: ________________ Honor Code (Signature): ___________________ TA: __________________________. 1.) In which of the following ways does professional ethics differ from common morality? a. Professional ethics focuses more on behavior and less on intent and motivation than common morality b. Professional ethics is more likely to be stated in a formal code than commonly morality. c. Professional ethics is more likey to change through time than common morality. d. Both a and b. 2.) Which of the following is an example of a claim about an application issue? a. Professionals tend to be happier in their work than most people in the workplace. b. Librarians are not really “professionals” c. A professional is one who uses specialized knowledge in the service of the public. d. Professionals should hold to a higher standard of ethical conduct than non-professionals 3.) Which of the following is an example of a factual claim? a. Most people believe that professionals should hold to a higher standard of ethical conduct than non-professionals. b. Physicians are “professionals” in the truest sense of the term. c. A professional is one who uses specialized knowledge in the service of the public d. Physicians should not make as much money as they do. Elizabeth Dorsey, an engineer at Martex, Inc., lives in Parkville, commuting 30 miles to work because she likes the small-town environment. She is on Parkville’s Committee for Environmental Quality (CEQ). Martex wants to build a new facilty in Parkville’s recreational and wildlife area. Martex proposes to use only 25 percent of the area, to control air and water emissions into the area and contribute funds for the maintenance for the remaining 75 percent of the area. On learning that Elizabeth lives in Parkville, a Martex manager asks her whether she knows any city council members well enough to talk to them about Martex’s proposal. She says that she does not, even though she has had limited contact with them in her role as a member of the CEQ. When the CEQ considered whether to fight Martex’s proposal, Elizabeth did not excuse herself from its deliberations. 4.) An example of a moral issue in this case is? a. Should the city sell the land to Martex? b. Should we consider Elizabeth’s statement that she did not know any members of the city council a case of deception? c. Do the codes of professional ethics in engineering require Elizabeth to give her primary loyalty to her managers? d. Should Elizabeth’s behavior in this case be considered both deceptive and a violation of the conflict of interest provisions in the professional codes? 5.) An example of conceptual issue
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 7

MidTerm04C - Mid Term Exam PHIL / ENGR 482 Fall 2004, AM...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online