{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Midterm Key Terms Part 2

Midterm Key Terms Part 2 - REL121:MidtermStudyGuide 1...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
REL 121: Midterm Study Guide 1.) Knemon Trans. “Cantankerous” Character in Menanders Comedy “Old Cantankerous” Character is described as a peasant who is a misanthrope. Another main character, Sostratos (an aristocrat) falls in love w/ Knemon’s daughter. 2.) Peasant The polar opposite of an aristocrat. Made up of farmers, workers, etc. A vast majority of the ancient Greek population were considered peasants. 3.) Chora Agriculturally productive land that surrounded the polis. 4.) Kyrios Head male of the household who has the responsibility of finding his daughter a suitable husband. 5.) Parasite An aristocratic sub-role An aristocrat who has fallen on “hard times”. They attach themselves to other aristocratic families for support. 6.) Sikon Mageiros slave for Sostratus’ family. mageiros slave performs 3 tasks: (1) prepare animal for sacrifice and conduct sacrifice (2) cut the animal up as a cook/butcher would do (3) a mageiros is also hired out to other families since the above tasks are not performed for any one household everyday… 7.) Exposure leaving unwanted children either in the wilderness or at the city dump in hopes that possibaly some one else might want the child. If not they they would die. 8.) Lamon From the story Daphnis and Chloe The sheepherder who finds Daphnis (basically his father) 9.) Synstrophos A slave that is raised/nourished with an aristocratic child as a playmate, Mother of the slave child is usually also bought 10.) Aristocratic Household Usually made up of a nuclear family Live in a mansion w/ many rooms Household is made up of mansion in the polis and land(s) in the chora Possibly has parasite(s)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
11.) Eros god of love (aka Cupid) offspring of Aphrodite and who? 12.) Lampriskos Kattalos’ teacher in Herodas’ “Mime 3:’ The Schoolteacher” Is approached by the boy’s mom Metrotime about the students’ poor class attendance. Proceeds to whip the boy. 13.) Primary Curriculum Lasts from ages 7-11 learn to read, write letters correctly and beautifully, and very basic arithmetic. aristocratic girls would be taught primary curr. @ home. primary ed. was never attended by more than 15% of the pop. leaving the rest of the 85% illiterate. physical component: wresting, throwing javelins, running. 14.) Secondary Curriculum Lasts from ages 11-15 (usually made exclusively up of aristocrats) girls would continue until married off @ age 14/15 learned Greek grammar and lit. esp. The Iliad and The Odyssey Physical component : wrestling, throw javelins, running. 15.) Agamemnon vs. Achilles Chryses, a priest, asks for his captured daughter back. Which Agamemnon wants to keep Chryses daughter for his concubine and so refuses Chryses request. Chryses prays to Apollo, Apollo attacks the
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 8

Midterm Key Terms Part 2 - REL121:MidtermStudyGuide 1...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon bookmark
Ask a homework question - tutors are online