exam help - Exam help Part I The Populist movement evolved...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Exam help Part I: The Populist movement evolved from the Farmer's Alliance. The Farmer's Alliance's original objective was to fix the horrid conditions most farmers experienced in that era. These conditions included: declining prices of their products, perpetual poverty, indebtedness and foreclosures. The need of the Alliance to involve the government for loans led to its politicization. The Populists spread the message of anti-business to its members, mostly farmers and the producing class. The Populists main message was that large corporations have immensely benefited “at the nation's expense”. This basically meant that the 1% was taking from the other 99%. Their key demand was for the government to expand its power to eliminate “oppression, injustice and poverty”, that initially resulted from the business practices of big corporations. Some of their proposals include: direct election of U.S. senators, government control of currency – implemented by FDR by destroying the gold standard and increasing government control over the financial system. They also wanted to have the government finance farms and give rights to workers, in other words create labor unions. Other groups such as: Farmer's Alliance, the Colored Farmers Alliance, the coalition of White Populists and Black Republicans in North Carolina and the American Railway Union shared the same views as the populists. However, in the end they failed because they did not receive the support they needed by President Grover Cleveland and inflation had caused this movement to go into a downward spiral. The movement was formed by Theodore Roosevelt when he lost the Republican nomination to Howard Taft,he took his delegates out of the convention and went on to form the Progressive Party. The movement can be said to be born out of the problems between the rich and the poor during that time. The Progressive movement came about in early 1900's as a loosely defined political movement for forward- looking businessmen. These people believed that labor should be involved in economic decision making. The people that shared these views were labor activists who wanted to empower industrial workers, female reform organizations who hoped to protect women and children from exploitation, social scientist
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
who hoped to solve social problems through academic research and the middle class who felt that the rise of big business was threatening their social status. This movement had originated from the city, unlike the populist movement. Some of their views were: to humanize industrial capitalism, resolve labor conflict, provide support for small businesses and and their producers, help with immigrant labor issues, “spread the wealth”, and many other things of that nature. The progressive movement succeeded because they were able to make a large change in the political structure during the progressive era and also during World War I. The Progressives used their political knowledge to reform the government from within. The main people involved were Hazen Pingree, Samuel Jones, Hiram Johnson, Robert M. La Follette.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern