Unformatted text preview: 4/16: Discussion
Thursday, April 1 6, 2 015 12:32 PM 1984: Warning for future leaders that even in democracy we can have totalitarian governments
• Who is big brother in Russia and Oceania?**
Show trials ( torture)-‐confessions (public)
Purges ( disappearance)(cleaning up)
○ Party members-‐ troikas
○ Working camps • Link what was happening in Russia to what is happening in George Orwell's novel. What is he warning about democracies.
○ Big brother in Russia is Stalin, and Oceania is big brother, government in general-‐ mustache guy, dictatorship. Resembling Stalin, replacing religion-‐
following someone you don't know/see but trust completely. Follow things they say regardless of consequences -‐indoctrination, within young age they adopt faith of big brother-‐image that people follow
§ Everything in Oceania is under control of the government-‐ similar to how Stalin got rid of the individual» Oceania is Russia
○ Theme of terror in 1984: page 2-‐ people disappear who disagree with government. ○ Terror goes along with purges, random disappearances, how people go against government and disappear
○ The party is just called the party in Oceania, no opposition ...
View Full Document