Unformatted text preview: 4/2: Discussion
Thursday, April 2 , 2 015 12:24 PM • Although the fought on opposite sides of the war, what attributes/experiences of the war did Franke and Sassoon have in common?
○ Both weren't motivated, disillusionment with war» not supporting
○ Sheer death/terror(trench warfare)
○ Language use» mud, smell, noises, environment
○ Trench Warfare:
§ Disease, standing water
§ Gaining ground: vulnerable to their attack
§ Long battle
§ Gas-‐new technology
○ Constantly under attack
○ Loss of hope (w/ optimism)» but not totally
§ First major wave socially and culturally ○ Makes society question the future and question humanity
○ WW1 solidifies the obscurity of different worlds and realities existing ○ Makes society question the future and question humanity
○ WW1 solidifies the obscurity of different worlds and realities existing
§ What just happened?
• Based on these descriptions of the battlefront, what physical and psychological effects did trench warfare have on soldiers?
○ Loss of hope
○ Possible side effects of gas warfare
○ PTSD or shell shock ○ Trench foot
• In US, French and British WWI propaganda the Germans were often depicted as devoid of humanity. How does Franke’s letter or the All Quiet on the Western Front clip challenge that image?
○ Enjoy everyday pleasures
○ See enemy objectives, not monsters
○ Similar perspectives and experiences
○ Humanizes ...
View Full Document
- Spring '13
- World War I, Stormtrooper, (trench warfare)
What students are saying
As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.
Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern
I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.
Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern
The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.
Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern