Unformatted text preview: 4/23: Discussion
Thursday, April 2 3, 2 015 12:06 PM • What do the cover photo and JFK’s message reveal about the impact of the Cold War on American politics, culture and society?
○ To scare America/intimidate. Increase awareness. Encourage America to be more prepared for attack.
○ Because they were scared and government wanted them to accept the possibility
○ Atmosphere of nervousness/anxiety
○ Red Scare
○ Gives hope in a solution
• Why do you think people feared the USSR in the 1950s and 1960s? (Outside of USSR)
○ Spread of Red Scare-‐ Dom. Campaign
○ 1961-‐1962-‐ Cuban Missile Crisis
□ Building of Berlin Wall-‐ Khrushchev ( Stalin is cold, Krushchev is Thawer)
□ Mutually assured Destruction
® US vs USSR nuclear arms missiles attacks during the cold war. » Tag. One country sends a missile, the other country sends the same type of destructive bomb across ○ Arms Race ( A Bomb-‐49) ( 57-‐H bomb)
○ Connection between Hitler and Stalin
○ Development of the Cold War country sends the same type of destructive bomb across ○ Arms Race ( A Bomb-‐49) ( 57-‐H bomb)
○ Connection between Hitler and Stalin
○ Development of the Cold War
○ Huge tension between JFK and Khrushchev… Continued between Nixon and Khrushchev-‐-‐ shoe slamming and kitchen debate
• In 1984, Orwell was trying to warn western society-‐ what warnings did you see? What messages was he trying to convey to the audience?
§ When Winston met eyes with different characters. § Being denounced § Kindred spirits
§ Double Think
○ Not complement, especially when it comes to the government ( Big Brother/Party)
○ Total Control-‐ little freedom
○ Government encroachment on individual/civil rights
○ Should you Trust information? Or should you question your source
○ Importance of History
• Why might the USSR serve as Orwell’s muse or inspiration?
• What was the larger geopolitical and historical conditions in which Orwell wrote 1984? What correlations might he have seen between the society he created in 1984 and US/British society from his time? • Red scare spread/McCarthyism paranoia. Might think your neighbor or friends could be part of the communist party. Hidden enemies/spies McCarthyism and Government policies Government encroachment on individual civil rights. (possible correlations to patriot act) Berlin Wall Total Control-‐ posters are stalin-‐esque…… US and Great Britain for Red Scare • McCarthyism and Government policies Government encroachment on individual civil rights. (possible correlations to patriot act) Berlin Wall Total Control-‐ posters are stalin-‐esque…… US and Great Britain for Red Scare Soviet Doctoring (censorship) Questioning sources for history Big Brother-‐ Stalin» Cult of Person Government • Utopian V ision/ Sacrifice • Totalitarian is Centralizing
• DON’T LET WORLD BECOME LIKE THIS OR IT WILL BE LIKE THE BOOK-‐ just like the tele screens and paranoid lives and total control and no individual thoughts
• Through which methods did the Party attempt to control peoples’ lives?
○ Propaganda ○ Size
○ Daily activities/speeches
○ Relationships-‐ only love your country couldn't love someone emotionally
○ Three classes-‐ similar to the three estates» connection to the old regime
○ State plan
○ Erasing history
• What is the relationship between the individual and the state/party in this book? book? ...
View Full Document
- Spring '13
- 1984, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Cold War, Cold War
What students are saying
As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.
Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern
I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.
Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern
The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.
Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern