MMG 302 Final Report

MMG 302 Final Report - Report on the Isolation and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Report on the Isolation and Identification of Environmental Isolates and Laboratory Unknown Title: Report on the Isolation and Identification of Environmental Isolates and Laboratory Unknown Date: 6-28-07 Author: Mark Gaynor Section: Meg Brief statement of purpose (1-2 sentences) : The purpose of this experiment is to take everything I have learned in this class up until this point and apply it to a real life situation. . The initial isolation was done by streaking a series of dilutions as posted in the manual. Once I obtained isolated colonies I did a three more streaks to ensure purity of the strain. To observe key characteristics I performed a wet mount and a gram stain. Procedures for both of these are in the lab manual as well. To test for osmotic pressure use 4 varying concentrations of NaCl mixed in with the agar. For temperature tolerance I streaked my isolate on TSA and incubated each at the various temperatures. I also incubated my isolate in varying pH levels of TSB. To see the required nutrients I incubated the isolate in test tubes with the required growth for each. Methyl Red and Voges-Proskauer tests were done by incubating the isolate in the media for 48 hours then add the indicators for both. TSI is done by performing a stab into the agar as well as streaking across the top. The urea test uses a slant with the isolate streaked on the top of the agar. For the citrate, acid/gas, ornithine decarboxylase, coagulase, and oxidase tests I incubated my isolates for 48 hours. To test for hemolysis, streak on a blood agar plate and incubate. Oxidation/fermentation is done by incubating the isolates into two media, with one put some mineral oil in it to create an oxygen seal. Results and Discussion . 1. MG Isolate # 1. 1.1. Initial isolation. We were not able to count any isolated colonies on any of our plates containing the cyclohexamine because a spreader bacteria was present. However, the copper plates produced minimal colonies allowing for further study. 1.2. Observations from isolation. All of the 7 dilution plates containing cyclohexamine were opaque and smooth throughout the entire plate. The copper 10^2 dilution had 4 isolated colonies which were white. I used one of those for further isolation. I did try and use a patch of bacteria with the spreader to try for further isolation, but used the copper one for most of my trials. 1.3.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 03/18/2008 for the course MMG 302 taught by Professor Dazzo during the Spring '08 term at Michigan State University.

Page1 / 6

MMG 302 Final Report - Report on the Isolation and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online