2010_handout

2010_handout - Architecture 2030s mission is to rapidly...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Architecture 2030’s mission is to rapidly transform the US and global Building Sector from the major contributor of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to a central part of the solution to the global-warming crisis. Our goal is to achieve a dramatic reduction in the GHG emissions of buildings by changing the way they are designed and constructed. “Data from the US Energy Information Administration illustrates that buildings are responsible for almost half (48%) of all energy consumption and GHG emissions annually; globally the percentage is even greater. Immediate action in the Building Sector is essential if we are to avoid hazardous climate change.” - Edward Mazria AIA Founder, Architecture 2030
Background image of page 2
CONVERGING EVENTS There are two global events converging to create the most significant crisis of modern times. The first of these is the escalating consumption of energy and resulting depletion of fossil-fuel resources. The second event is global warming. The US peaked in oil production in the 1970’s. We have since exhausted 75% of all the known oil reserves in the US, and we are now on our way to consuming the remaining 25%. The US peaked in natural gas production in 1973, and in order to keep gas production steady in the US, we have had to drill thousands more wells every year. We have very little remaining oil and gas reserves. Global warming is currently at 0.7˚C above pre-industrial levels. Scientists tell us that in order to avoid dangerous climate change we must keep global warming under 2˚C above pre-industrial levels. If we reach 3˚C, we could potentially cause catastrophic climate change.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
1 QBtu = annual energy output of 40 1,000 MW power plants Source: US Energy Information Administration Statistics Center ENERGY CONSUMPTION PROJECTIONS Energy consumption is measured in ‘Quads’ (Quadrillion Btus). One Quad equals the delivered energy of 40 1000-megawatt power plants, i.e. 40 large nuclear power plants, or approximately 75 500-megawatt conventional coal plants. The US currently uses approximately 100 Quads of energy annually. The US Energy Information Administration (EIA) projects that, over the next 25 years, US energy consumption will increase by 34 Quads, or 34%. The world, including the US, uses approximately 400 Quads of energy annually. EIA projects that, over the next 25 years, world energy consumption will increase by 276 Quads, or 62%. Where will all of this energy come from? Seventy percent of the remaining global oil and gas reserves are located in what is called the strategic ellipse – an area stretching from Saudi Arabia up through Russia (see sidebar). These reserves have now become a political as well as an economic commodity, making the availability of these reserves uncertain. So, what other energy options are available?
Background image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 10/07/2008 for the course CIVIL 698 taught by Professor Mikewalters during the Spring '08 term at Wisconsin.

Page1 / 15

2010_handout - Architecture 2030s mission is to rapidly...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online