hmwk3additionalAnswers - Chemistry 2090 Stable Isotopes?...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Chemistry 2090 Stable Isotopes? Homework 3 Additional Question A Set of Answers In natural abundance, 98.9% of all C atoms are the isotope 12 C, and the remainder, 1.1%, are the isotope 13 C. Assume, contrary to fact, that these atoms are randomly distributed throughout all of the carbon-containing compounds on earth. 1. You are given a collection of molecules of carbon dioxide, CO 2 . What percent of them contain exactly 1 13 C atom? There is 1 C atom per CO 2 molecule. So 1.1% of the molecules of CO 2 will contain exactly 1 13 C atom. 2. The carbon dioxide is used to make a new molecule, a sugar, which is subsequently fermented to form ethanol with chemical formula C 2 H 6 O. What fraction of the ethanol molecules contain exactly 1 13 C atom, and what fraction contain 2 13 C atoms? Ethanol contains 2 13 C atoms. The likelihood that the 1st C atom is 13 C is 1.1%; the likelihood that the second is 1.1%; that both are 13 C is 1 . 1% 1 . 1 / 100 = 0 . 0121% . The likelihood that neither...
View Full Document

Page1 / 2

hmwk3additionalAnswers - Chemistry 2090 Stable Isotopes?...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online