third_ans

third_ans - Problems on Third degree price discrimination...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Problems on Third degree price discrimination 1. An event in a stadium was sold out. While 60% of the participants paid full price, the other 40% paid only half price. Some people that were willing to pay more than half price were left out. Conclusion : the organizers could have made more money. True or False. Explain. False. If the consumers that were left out generated lower marginal revenue than the ones that were included, this is con- groups of consumers with aggregate demands p = 100 q h and p = 60 q l , pro&t maximization with third degree price dis- crimination requires equating marginal revenues between the two groups: 100 2 q h = 60 2 q l which implies that q l = q h 20 : So for example if the capacity q h = 40 and q l = 20 : This implies p h = 60 and p l = 40 ; so there are some consumers from the h group (those with reservations values between 40 and 60 that are excluded even though their willingess to pay is higher than the lower end of the included consumers of the l group. 2. cost of selling in the second market. Therefore, the price in the second market must be higher. True or False. Explain. False. The price in each market also depends on demand elasticity. In other words, if the two costs are c 1 < c 2 and market elasticities are 1 and 2 ; p 1 1 1 1 ± = c 1 p 2 1 1 2 ± = c 2 so it follows that p 1 p 2 = c 1 (1 1 1 ) c 2 (1 1 2 ) : So even if c 1 < c 2 it could still be true that p 1 > p 2 : 1
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
A monopolist sells to several markets and is able to do third degree price discrimination. It will choose quantities so that elasticities are equated across these markets. True or False? Explain. False. This is not necessarily true even if marginal cost is the same in both markets. In that case it will choose quantities until p 1 1 1 1 ± = p 2 1 1 2 ± = c elasticities can be di/erent and prices also di/erent so that it is still true that marginal revenues are equal. 4. Demand elasticity in market A is half the demand elasticity in market B and the price a monopolist is charging twice as high. Show that the price in market B is 50% higher than marginal cost. p A c p A = 1 A p B c p B = 1 B p A c p B c p B p A ± = B A and using p A = 2 p B and A = B = 2 4( p B c ) = p A c = 2 p B c so it follows that: 2 p B = 3 c and hence p B = 1 : 5 c: 5. There are two groups of consumers. A monopolist is using third degree price discrimination (group pricing). Marginal cost c = 1 is the same in both markets. One of the markets have twice the demand elasticity of the other market. The price in the market with low elasticity p = 2 : What can you infer about the ratio of the prices? Explain your answer. 2
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 10/15/2008 for the course ECON 171 taught by Professor Hopenhayn during the Spring '07 term at UCLA.

Page1 / 10

third_ans - Problems on Third degree price discrimination...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online