Yesennia Alcohol Paper.wps

Yesennia Alcohol Paper.wps - Guevara 1-1 Alcoholism is one...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Guevara 1 -1 Alcoholism is one of the most influential aspects of popular culture that is often over- looked as a social behavior. All too often, one forgets that drinking is a choice and not an accepted social practice in all individuals lives. Today, alcohol consumption is legal in the United States and in most parts of the world. It is most often found in every corner, street, bars, gas stations, and food stores. Alcohol can be anything from a shot of tequila or even a cup of wine! Many people use alcohol in many social events such as family gatherings, celebrations, and religion purposes. However, like any other drug, alcohol becomes an issue when it is heavily depended on. Many people nowadays drink alcohol to “relax”, to be sociable in a party or group gathering, or just for a cheap “high”. Alcohol works in the human body as a depressant, slowing down the functions of the brain. The more alcohol is consumed, the more the central nervous system slows down. According to Webster Dictionary, alcohol is referred to as a drink containing 95 percent ethanol (Webster Dictionary). Although ethanol is a type of alcohol with no poisonous effect on the human body, the other 5 percent containing methanol, can be hazardous. The methanol that is contained in the alcohol breaks down into formaldehydes which can cause blindness, or even death (AT Bristol). Fermentation, where ethanol is made, is the process in which yeast breaks down sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide. Yeast, tiny single-celled fungi containing special enzymes, are responsible for this reaction. The reaction begins when the carbon dioxide bubbles exit the fermenting solution into the air. After the carbon dioxide is in the air, it leaves a mixture of ethanol and water. If air is present during the process, the yeast will produce ethanoic acid (Alcohol and You). For a stronger ethanol, a process called distillation, is conducted. Fermented drinks are “distilled” to create vodka, rum and other spirits. Distillation relies heavily on ethanol
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Guevara 2 having a lower boiling point than water. When the fermented drink is heated, the ethanol vaporizes at 78.5 degrees and the water is left behind (water boils or vaporizes at 100 degrees). The ethanol gas is caught and cooled so it condenses into a stronger concentration of ethanol liquid (Alcohol and You). Today in America, Alcohol Abuse and Alcohol Dependence are the two major issues that people deal with. According to recent studies, almost half of Americans aged 12 and older reported being current drinkers of alcohol (SEMCA). Whether it is legally, underaged, with a group of friends, or by oneself, most never develop a problem. Some, however, drink so heavily that they develop an immense addiction. Addiction is a dependency on a certain substance; in this case it is alcohol (Wikipedia). When the body becomes addicted, it stops producing neurotransmitters that helps one’s body feel good without the substance. In other words, a person
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 7

Yesennia Alcohol Paper.wps - Guevara 1-1 Alcoholism is one...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online