cleft_pal - Cleft Lip and Palate Learning Objectives 1. To...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Cleft Lip and Palate
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Learning Objectives 1. To understand the embryologic basis of cleft lip and palate. 2. To understand the types of cleft lip and palate. 3. To understand the speech consequences of a person's inability to close the velopharyngeal port. 4. To understand the role of the speech/language pathologist on a team dedicated to the care of patients with oral-facial clefts.
Background image of page 2
Oral-Facial Clefts  Fourth most frequent birth defect. 1 out of every 750 live births among European Americans. occurs about half as often among African Americans almost twice as often among Asian Americans. 25% of affected individuals have clefts involving either one or both sides of the lip. 25% of affected individuals have clefts of the palate only. 50% have clefts of both the lip and palate.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Embryonic Development 6 weeks after conception, the structures that will form the roof of the mouth and the face unite with one another to form the palate and lip.
Background image of page 4
Ch 11.08 events in formation of the human face that occur
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 16

cleft_pal - Cleft Lip and Palate Learning Objectives 1. To...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online