MGMT650-Week5-Lecture.docx - MGMT650 Statistics for...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
MGMT650 - Statistics for Managerial Decision Making Week 5 Lecture The Normal Distribution Hey, I thought this week's lecture was about sampling? It is! But one very important concept that we need to cover on our way to talking about why we can draw conclusions about a population based on our study of only a sample is the normal distribution. It is, as they say, statistics' raison d'etre (reason for being). Recall that social scientists are concerned with finding a sample that will represent the population, so that the research results will be generalizable to the population. One tool for making such generalizations is the normal distribution , or, the normal curve . There are certain features of the normal curve that you must simply accept as "true" if you are to use the normal curve to your benefit. The normal curve can be of tremendous assistance in understanding human behavior, if you are willing to accept a few basic "givens," listed below. The givens: 1. It is assumed that most variables are "normally distributed" in the population. Thus, if you collect enough data points (have a large enough sample), your participants' scores on your variable will form a normal curve also. For instance, let's consider the variable, "Self esteem." In the population, there are people who have high self esteem, people who have low self esteem, and lots of people in between. If you conduct a study that includes the variable "self esteem" and your sample size is adequate, the same features will emerge among your sample participants -- some will be high, a few will be low, and the largest proportion will be somewhere near the middle. Note: Not all variables are normally
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
distributed in the population, but most are. We will later learn how to deal with those that are not. 2. It is assumed that, when a variable (like "self esteem") is normally distributed in the population, the bulk of the population will score at or about the mean, and very few will score "really high" or ”low" on the variable. In fact, the normal curve stipulates that about 68% of the population will score very near the mean. That leaves 32% who score somewhere away from the mean (68% + 32 % = 100% of the population). The useful fact about the normal curve is that both sides of the curve are mirror images of each other. Thus, we know there will be equal numbers of”high" and”low" scores. Whatever happens above the mean will also happen below the mean. Thus, if you cut 32% in half (half for the high scores and half for the low scores), that means 16% of the population will score moderately high (a bit above the mean) and 16% will score moderately low (a bit below the mean). 3 . The normal curve is meant to be a tool for understanding which percentage of the population will score at the mean, below the mean, and above the mean, because it is assumed that if a sample's scores form a normal curve, so will the population's scores.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern