Practice Lecture Exam Questions: Unit 2
1) The skeletal system participates in ________.
A) maintaining blood calcium levels
B) absorbing the shock of unexpected rapid body movements
C) facilitating transmission of nerve impulses
D) cushioning abdominal organs such as the kidneys
E) All of the answers are correct.
2) Which of the following is produced within red bone marrow?
3) Mature bone cells that maintain and monitor the protein and mineral content of the
surrounding matrix are called ________.
4) Which of the following is a special characteristic of spongy bone?
5) Perforating canals ________.
A) occur in growing juvenile bone, but are obliterated in adult bone
B) are always associated with osteons in spongy bone
C) transmit blood vessels to osteons deep inside the bone
D) All of the answers are correct.
6) The periosteum ________.