Unformatted text preview: Jesus Christ: God’s Revelation to the World
Chapter 1 Searching for God Name___________________________________
Date____________________________________ Directions: Read through the chapter and fill in the missing information. All the questions run sequential to the chapter. If a
true/false statement is false, correct it.
Introduction: The Pursuit of Happiness (Pages 3–5)
1. What conflict does every human being experience regarding the desire for happiness? You can not be happy all the time
2. What are two example of ultimate questions? What will happen to me when I die? Where will my life go
3. Why do you absolutely need God’s Revelation to understand the truths of religion? Natural reason + faith = truth
4. Explain what is known by salvific religion. The belief that god wants to save us thru Section 1: Why People Desire God (Pages 6–8) 5. Why is it that God alone can fill your yearning for happiness? jussi 6. What are four common reasons why atheists do not believe in God? 7. True or False? Atheism and theism in all their forms are a sin against the virtue of religion. Section 2: Knowing God Through Natural Revelation (Pages 9–12) 8. What point did Johannes Kepler make to his friend about the existence of God through the use of senses and reason? There must be a creater behind everything that exists 9. Explain the relation between Natural Revelation and reason in trying to understand God’s existence. We can use our senses and reasons to discover that god exists 10. What does it mean to call St. Thomas Aquinas’ arguments for God’s existence “proofs?” They are convincing arguments for gods existence Directions: Write the name of the correct proof next to each description below.
11. The material universe cannot explain free will.
12. There are different degrees of beauty, truth, justice and goodness in the world. They are convincing arguments for gods existence 13. For the world to move forward there must have been a “First Mover.” God is the unmoved mover 14. Everyone has a deep sense that some behaviors are wrong such as thievery or terrorism. Supreme model 15. It is statistically highly improbable that human life in the universe could have formed out of chance alone. god is the grand designer 16. For anything to exist there must be an eternal being who always existed who brought all other beings into existence. everything comes from something and god is something 17. Everything that exists results from something or someone that came before it. god is the first cause 18. God gives you a taste of heaven here on earth. god is the grand designer 19. What has every skeptical scientist been unable to prove? If god is real
Section 3: Knowing God Through Divine Revelation (Pages 14–18) 20. True or False? Although it is clear that left to yourself you can know that God exists, you cannot get a truth and complete
picture of who God really is.
21. Why does God want to communicate his own divine life to you? “By doing this, God makes it possible for you to know him, respond to him, and love him
beyond what you could ever do on your own. " 22. Explain how humans have attempted to describe the roles of the Three Persons of the Holy Trinity. “God the Father created the world and directs all of Salvation History. God the Son saved the world from sin and death. God the Holy Spirit sustains the Church now that Jesus is not physically on earth. 23. True or False? The Israelites were unique because unlike their neighbors who were monotheistic (meaning they worshipped
multiple gods) the Israelites were polytheistic, or believed in one God.
24. Explain how John the Baptist paved the way for Jesus’ own ministry. The Holy Spirit helped him to preach repeated 2 25. Why did Jesus’ followers call him “the Christ?” Because they realized he was the anointed on they have been waiting for
26. True or False? After the Resurrection, Jesus’ followers understood that Jesus is God.
27. True or False? There will be no further Revelation now that Jesus has suffered, died, risen from the dead, and ascended into
heaven. 28. In what ways did the coming of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles on Pentecost change them? Suddenly they had courage to preach and give the sacraments
Section 4: Handing Down Divine Revelation (Pages 20–24) 29. What is the Church’s Deposit of Faith? What is its source and goal? The Bible and sacra traditions
30. How was Sacred Scripture passed on by the early Christians? Explain. Word of mouth first and later in writhing
31. Fill in the blanks: Sacred Scripture recalls the events of Salvation History and the ___________________ God made with
humanity. It includes both the _______ Testament—which includes ______________ books and recalls the history of the
Israelites—and the New Testament—which includes _________________ books—that tell the story of God the Father’s
_____________ action through his Son and the Holy Spirit’s work through the early ________________.
32. True or False? Sacred Scripture is a body of written literature that grows over time as times change.
33. What is the Church’s responsibility according to Dei Verbum? To faithfully parserve the teaching of the faith
34. Explain the role of the bishops in preserving Sacred Tradition. Top racer even the taraditon of the
apostles 35. In short, what is the Magisterium? The poat and the abisup who have teaching attorety
36. Explain what means to call the bishops “stewards” of God’s Revelation.
3 37. True or False? The People of God are called to listen to all that the bishops teach, especially dogmas.
Section 5: Faith: Your Response to Divine Revelation (Pages 25–27) 38. What does it mean to say that faith requires you to take a leap of sorts? 39. Fill in the blanks: Faith enables you to respond ______ to Divine Revelation and when you live a ________________ life, you
are on the path to eternal life. But God does not ___________ you to have faith. It, like our ________________, is God’s gift.
By responding ____________________ to Divine Revelation through Jesus Christ, you position yourself for happiness in this
life and forever in ___________________.
40. What is the sensus fidei? The apop aumbihams is never make a mistake 4 ...
View Full Document
- Winter '17