Chinese 252 Review Questions, Series 2, Part A
1. In which period were the states into which ancient China divided more numerous, the Spring and Autumn
period or the Warring States period?
Spring and Autumn period
2. In the Warring States period, what state was the first to start putting legalist principles into practice?
3. What dynasty is said to have come to an end soon after its last king started setting fire to signal pyres on a mountain
outside the capital?
4. What major state split into three smaller states at the beginning of the Warring States era?
5. What ruler did Guăn Zhòng serve as prime minister?
6. What prompted Kŏngzĭ to say “Fierce government is worse than tigers?
A woman would rather face a tiger than to be a citizen of a bad government
7. After Bì Yù Ràng had tried twice to assassinate the Zhào Xiāngzĭ, the latter allowed him to take symbolic revenge
before taking his own life. What was this symbolic revenge?
Cutting the cloak of Zhao Xiangzi
8. Why did Sūn Bīn become a deadly enemy of Páng Juān, though the two had once been close friends and fellow
Sun Bin was betrayed by Pang Juan, who was jealous of Sun Bin’s ability
there is a story about a mountain that once had been covered with lush vegetation, but later became bare
and ugly do to the incessant activites of woodcutters, cattle-herders, and other plunderers. What is the point of the
Human beings are inherently good, but gets contaminated by the world
10. Who attracted the attention of Guăn Zhòng and then of Qí Huán-gōng by tapping the horns of his ox and singing a
song, parts of which went, “South Mount glistens, / South Rock glitters,… / Never have I seen a Yáo yield to Shùn,
… / The long night stretches long, / When will it dawn?”
11. What mythical Chinese ruler is said to have served his parents devotedly, even though they tried on two occasions
to kill him?
12. With what school of philosophy are the writings of Zhuāngzĭ associated?
13. Who is quoted in several places as saying, “I am not distressed at the failure of others to know me; I am distressed
only at my own failure to know others?”
14. What were the “three burrows” that Féng Xuān prepared for Mèngcháng Jūn?
1. Earning fame in Xue, a fief. 2. When Qi officials slandered Mengchang Jun, he approached Qin. 3.
Meanwhile, he approached Qi, telling the king that Qin is recruiting Mengchang Jun as their prime minister.
15. Chŭ was: a)
south of Zhèng
b) west of Zhèng;
c) north of Zhèng;
d) east of Zhèng