LECTURE BASED QUESTIONS:
1. Why might many people assume that "there is no religion in modern day China"? Why is such
an assumption incorrect? What place does religion occupy in modern day China?
2. What does it mean to say that Chinese religious thought is characterized by syncretism? How
does a syncretic approach bring about a very different understanding of and approach to
3. What role do gods, spirits, ancestors, divination practices such as feng shui, and priests, play
in traditional forms of Chinese religion?
4. When, where, and with whom do Confucian teachings emerge? What basic ideas and
practices are associated with this tradition?
5. What happens in the story, "The Gorge of Lu"? What role does Confucius play in it? What are
its key teachings?