VENUS and EARTH.docx - Davidea Rahma 160810301087 Financial...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Davidea Rahma 160810301087 Financial Analysis X Class VENUS and EARTH Venus is one of the four terrestrial planets in the Solar System, meaning that it is a rocky body like Earth. It is similar to Earth in size and mass, and is often described as Earth's "sister" or "twin". The diameter of Venus is 12,103.6 km (7,520.8 mi)—only 638.4 km (396.7 mi) less than Earth's—and its mass is 81.5% of Earth's. Conditions on the Venusian surface differ radically from those on Earth because its dense atmosphere is 96.5% carbon dioxide , with most of the remaining 3.5% being nitrogen .Venus is often referred to as “Earth’s Twin” (or “sister planet”), and for good reason. Despite some rather glaring differences, not the least of which is their vastly different atmospheres, there are enough similarities between Earth and Venus that many scientists consider the two to be closely related. In short, they are believed to have been very similar early in their existence, but then evolved in different directions. Earth and Venus are both terrestrial planets that are located within the Sun’s Habitable Zone (aka. “Goldilocks Zone”) and have similar sizes and compositions. Beyond that, however, they have little in common. Let’s go over all their characteristics, one by one, so we can in what ways they are different and what ways they are similar. a. Size, Mass and Orbit In terms of their respective sizes, masses and compositions, Venus and Earth are quite similar. Whereas Earth has a mean radius of 6,371 km and a mass 5,972,370,000
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
quadrillion kg, Venus has a mean radius of about 6,052 km and a mass of 4,867,500,000 quadrillion kg. This means that Venus is roughly 0.9499 the size of Earth and 0.815 as massive. In terms of volume, the two planets are almost neck and neck, with Venus possessing 0.866 as much volume as Earth (928.45 billion cubic km compared to Earth’s 1083.21 billion). But when it comes to orbit, the two planets are a bit different. Earth orbits the Sun at an average distance (semi-major axis) of 149,598,023 km (92,955,902 mi), ranging from 147,095,000 km (91,401,000 mi) at perihelion to 152,100,000 km (94,500,000 mi) at aphelion. Venus, meanwhile, orbits the Sun at an average distance of 108,208,000 km, ranging from 107,477,000 kmat perihelion to 108,939,000 km. Basically, Venus orbits closer to our Sun and with an eccentricity that is less than one-third that of Earth’s (0.006772 compared to 0.0167086). In addition, Earth’s axis is tilted far more than Venus’ towards the Solar ecliptic – 23.5° compared to Venus’ 2.64°. This greater proximity to the
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern