c489 Task 3_.docx - Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership Task 3 Ralph Spencer Western Governors University C489 Task 3(1217 1 A1 COUNTRY TO

c489 Task 3_.docx - Organizational Systems and Quality...

This preview shows page 1 - 4 out of 7 pages.

Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership Task 3 Ralph Spencer Western Governors University
Image of page 1
C489 Task 3 (1217) 1 A1. COUNTRY TO COMPARE The country I am going to compare to the U.S. Healthcare System is that of Japan. Japan instituted a social insurance system after World War II in hopes to rebuild. This healthcare transformation gave close to 130 million people the ability to become some of the healthiest and longest living in the world. Social insurance is provided through taxes and a mandatory health insurance policy which will be covered by the government if the citizen is deemed as poor. There are no waiting times in Japan and no appointments needed, anyone cannot walk into a local doctors office and ask for care. Hospitals and Doctor’s offices are privately run. Every 2 years, all drugs and medical procedures are analyzed and prices are fixed throughout the country. If you become unemployed you transition into community insurance. A2. ACCESS In the United States the medical coverage for children is covered under Medicaid with a program called “The Children's Health Insurance Program” (CHIP). CHIP is administered by the states, following federal requirements. States that provide CHIP coverage through Medicaid are required to provide many benefits such as: well baby, well child, dental and vaccines. These services are provided free of charge. Eligibility for this program cover children up to or above 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), with many additional states covering up to 300% of the FPL. In Japan the medical coverage for children free of charge under their parents social insurance plan. Japanese Social Insurance pays 70% of total medical costs and with the certificate, and the Free Medical care Certificate for Children covers the remaining 30%, which leads to no additional cost from the family for all medical needs. This certificate is valid until 15 years old but the age limit differs between city and ward. Vaccinations and baby checkups are
Image of page 2
C489 Task 3 (1217) 2 not covered by insurance but the family’s local ward provides coupons to cover any additional expenses. Unemployed citizens in the United States who need care without insurance create uncompensated or indigent care costs which must be passed by healthcare systems to paying subscribers or company insurance programs. Because of this inability to get health care,
Image of page 3
Image of page 4

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 7 pages?

  • Spring '16

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture