Unformatted text preview: LACE Presentation
4/13/2018 What is LACE? APRN regulations vary from state to state. There is a need to conform the APRN state governing laws. LACE-Licensure, Accreditation, Education and Considerations. A Uniform Model of regulation for the APRN. The consistency of Lace will benefit the APRN’s practice. Licensure in California
California- APRN must also be an Registered Nurse
Board Recognized graduate level advanced specialties.
- Nurse Practitioner
-Clinical Nurse Specialist
-Psychiatric/ Mental Health Nurse Accreditation in California Nurse Practitioners can be certified through many organizations.
1. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
2. American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
3. American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
4. National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing
5. Pediatric Nursing Certification Board. Education of APRN in California California APRN education requirements
1. completion an in-state program recognized by the board.
2. Earn a certification through an accepted organization
3. Completion of an equivalent program. (NursingLicensure.org,
2013-2017) Licensure in Illinois Illinois-the APRN must hold RN and APN licensing. Primary RN license must be from Illinois. Illinois recognizes the following APRN roles.
-Certified Nurse Practitioner
-Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist
-Certified Nurse Midwife
-Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Accreditation in Illinois Nurse Practitioners may hold NP certification through following organizations
1. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Program
2. American Nurses Credentialing Center
3. Certification Board for Urologic Nurses and Associates
4. National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric
5. Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Specialties
6. Pediatric Nurse Certification Board. Education in Illinois APRN must earn a graduate or post0master certificate Must complete a program that offers an advanced practice certificate Licensure in Washington Only three Advance Practice Nursing roles
-Certified Nurse Midwife
-Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Clinical Nurse Specialist are not licensed in Washington. Accreditation in Washington Candidate must pass national certification exam Has four approved has approved four nurse practitioner certification organizations
1. American Nurses Credentialing Center
2. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
3. Pediatric Nursing Certification Board
4. National Certification Corporation for Obstetric, Gynecological, and Neonatal Nursing Education in Washington Candidate must complete an approved APRN program Program may haver a broad or narrow focus Courses include diagnostic, health management, assessment pharmacology A minimum of 500 patient care hours Evidence Based Practice for
continuity between states Inconsistent regulations on the scope of the APRN No standardization between states Each state has provisions that allow the NP to practice, based upon their Board of
Nursing Perhaps scope should be directed from a federal level. Nurse Practitioners in Ohio Considered a restrictive state Currently not enough family physicians The shortage of PCP is expected to worsen As of August, 2016. 21 states allow NP’s to practice independently. Independent practice is supported by AANP and the American Nurses Association References DeNisco, S., & Barker, A. M. (2015). Advanced practice nursing: Essential knowledge for the profession (3 ed.). Retrieved from https:bookshelf.vitalsource.com Dillon, D., & Gary, F. (2017). Full Practice Authority for Nurse Practitioners. Nurs Admin Q, 41(1), 86-93.
3/00006216/00006216-201701000-00012 Hudspeth, R. (2012). Understanding Discipline of Nurse Practitioners by Boards of Nursing . The Journal for Nurse
Practitioners, 5(5), 365-371. Retrieved from
Kleinpell, R. M., Hudspeth, R., Scordo, K. A., & Magdic, K. (2012). Defining NP scope of practice and associated regulations:
Focus on acute care Defining NP scope of practice and associated regulations: Focus on acute care. Journal of the American
Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 11-17. Retrieved from
c-ec23a805441d%40sessionmgr4010&hid=4110 NurseCredentialing.org. (2017). NursingLicensure.org. (2013-2017). ...
View Full Document
- Fall '15
- Nursing, nurse practitioners, Registered nurse, Nursing specialties, Nursing board certification