- supporters of the war. After the war they wanted to punish
the south for its actions, and they also believed that it was their responsibility to
help the former slave’s transition to freedom.
– president after Lincoln, he was a southern yeoman, who
didn’t really support republican views, but he dislike powerful southern planters.
His reconstruction plan wasn’t as lenient as Lincoln’s, but his inability to gain
support from the congress caused him to be an unsuccessful president.
– freed the slaves;
– defined citizenship to
include all those born or naturalized. Declared that whenever a state denied any
age qualified male citizen the right to vote, the state’s representation in congress
would be lowered.
race and color weren’t legal grounds for
denying adult men from voting.
– set of laws to govern race relations. It gave blacks several rights
such as marriage, property, and the right to testify, but they were 2
in political and economic status, they couldn’t vote or offer labor freely.
– aided refugees both black and white. Found employments,
established hospitals, schools, and drew guidelines to bring freedmen to the free
First Reconstruction Act
– swept aside the existing state regimes, and divided
the south into 5 military regimes, each under a general who could use power to
protect life and property, and oversaw the choice of delegates in state
conventions. All adult males could vote.
Ku Klux Klan
– formed by young confederate veterans in Tennessee as a social
club. They evolved into an anti-black and anti-republican organization. Had many
acts of violence: intimidated voters, burned houses, attacked militiamen.
– centralized the distribution of meat. He would slaughter the
cattle in the west and then ship the final product to the eastern consumers.
Because of his centralized distribution, and also used a lot of machinery to lower
the labor of cost which would therefore lower the prices of meat.
– he was a great inventor and entrepreneur. He invented the
incandescent light bulb, provided circuits, and a meter to judge power output. He
used investors as a financial backing and he represents one of the 1
researches. Afterwards he developed his power company.
– he wasn’t an inventor but he worked with the existing
technology and processes, and made them show a profit. He adopted new methods
and technological improvements quickly, and kept labor cost down by
mechanizing as much as he could.