DTC Advertising 12-12 - 1999 and 2000 only 4 more for the...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Direct to Consumer Advertising 1) FDA Modernization Act of 1997 a) Allowed ads to direct consumers to i) toll-free phone number ii) print advertisement iii)internet address iv) doctor or pharmacist b) Resulting increase in DTC ads and spending i) In 1995, 10 new drugs advertised; 1998, 24 new drugs ii) In 1996, $791 million spent on DTC ads; 2001, $2.7 billion 2) DTC works a) More drugs prescribed—doctors cave to pressure i) 75% of patients immediately given a prescription ii) 25% more prescriptions written for the 50 most advertised drugs between
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 1999 and 2000; only 4% more for the other 9, 482 drugs b) More money made i) Retail sales 1999-2000 (1)50 most heavily DTC advertised drugs accounted for 48% of $20.8 billion increase in retail spending (2)Other 9,482 drugs accounted for the other 52% ii) Sales growth, 1999-2000 (1)50 most advertised was 32% (2)All others 14% iii)For every dollar spent on ads, yields $4.20 in sales 1...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 03/27/2008 for the course WOMENS STU 104 taught by Professor N/a during the Fall '08 term at University of Wisconsin.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online