Biology 150, Fall 2018: 2
An exam is a learning opportunity where your preparation meets our challenge
1. Print your name, your Biological Literacy instructor’s name, and your exam
in the lower right
section of the scan form
2. Print your name and your discussion instructors name in the space provided below.
Carefully read and think about
each question and the selection of answers. Select the best answer
from those provided and mark the appropriate location on the scan form, using a #2 pencil only. If you must
erase, erase cleanly. 2 pts each
4. Due in class Wednesday October 3. 10% deduction for each day late.
1. The Hardy-Weinberg model makes assumptions that never happen in real populations, yet the model is
A. it explains the existence of variation in populations.
B. it proves that Mendel was correct for populations.
C. it describes most populations.
D. it explains the existence of so many species.
E. it identifies those factors that can change allele or genotype frequencies
2. The appropriate unit for defining and measuring genetic variation is the:
3. Natural selection operates primarily at the level of:
4. Independent assortment of
5. A population's carrying capacity _____.
A. may change as environmental conditions change
B. can be accurately calculated using the logistic growth model
C. generally remains constant over time
D. increases as the per capita growth rate (
E. can never be exceeded