safety assignment salts and hydrolysis

safety assignment salts and hydrolysis - CHEMISTRY 178L...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: CHEMISTRY 178L SAFETY ASSIGNMENT "Salts and Hydrolysis" 1. Ammonium Nitrate A) Causes eye irritation. May cause severe irritation and possible burns. Dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood. May cause respiratory tract irritation, and death. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema. Adverse reproductive effects have been reported in animals. B) Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from flammable liquids. Store protected from moisture. C) Stable under normal conditions. Can break down into Nitrogen oxides, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, aluminum oxide, and aluminum fumes. 2. Hydrazine Sulfate A) Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause eye injury. May cause skin sensitization, . May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Exposure may cause anemia and other blood abnormalities. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation. May cause cancer according to animal studies. May cause digestive tract disturbances. B) Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. May form flammable dust-air mixtures. Loosen closure cautiously before opening. Do not get on skin and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Avoid mechanical shock and friction. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. C) Stable under normal conditions. Shock sensitive and thermally unstable. Breaks down into Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, and carbon dioxide. ...
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online