Unformatted text preview: 53. Of the following, what is the best description of a theory?
A series of related patterns that can be used as a basis for explanation and prediction.
A large body of information that has limited value in the real world.
An abstract description of events taking place primarily in the sciences.
d. A series of descriptions and conjectures that don't have any basis in fact.
54. Sets of related principles that are based on observations and are used to explain additional observations best
pedagogical content knowledge.
55. Of the following, the best description of the use of theories is to:
rehearse and reflect.
describe and correlate.
explain and predict.
inquire and experiment.
Use the following information for Items 56-58.
You understand the statements "People tend to imitate behaviors they observe in others," "People are more likely to
imitate a competent person's behavior," and "People may learn new behaviors through imitation, or behaviors they
already know may be facilitated," and you realize they are all related. You then say, "Aha, I know how standing
ovations work. One person stands up, and that facilitates the rest of the people's behaviors."
56. Of the following, what best describes the three related statements?
Combined, they illustrate a theory.
Combined, they illustrate experimental research.
Combined, they illustrate critical decision making.
Combined, they illustrate pedagogical content knowledge.
57. Each of the statements, taken separately, is best described as:
a case study.
58. You have studied a theory that focuses on the way people learn, and you understand the theory thoroughly.
Of the following, which statement best describes how you will use this understanding in the real world?
It provides you with information about the way people learn that you know to be true for all cases.
It allows you to predict what kind of practice will likely result in the most learning.
It provides you with a set of teaching rules, which if properly applied will almost always work.
It provides you with knowledge and understanding, even though it has limited application for
* 59. Identify an important limitation of correlational research, and provide an example that illustrates this
60. Describe the relationship between research and theory. Provide an example that illustrates the relationship
between the two....
View Full Document
- Spring '19
- Pat Blaine
- best description of the use of theories