Unformatted text preview: Stage Left Steak
Team 2: Catherine Chen, Daniel Fehl, Richard
Kruse, Xiaoxian Yang, and Guanyu Zhu Company
● Modernized Steakhouse in
Downtown New Brunswick. ● Menu: steak, foie gras,
chocolate cake, and more. ● Pricy due to quality of food. ● Contact: Julie Blauvelt who is a
manager at Stage Left. Background Information
● Founded by two Rutgers graduates in 1992.
● Focus on a green-market driven strategy. “be a warm and welcoming place for New
Brunswick locals and visitors from all around the
world.” ● Mission: ● Wide demographic of workers.
● High class and upper middle class customers Data Collection Method
● In-depth interview and analysis with
Julie Blauvelt in Week 5 to get
background information and overview.
● 3-question interview with an employee
of each job title to gain diverse
perspectives of the workplace.
● 4-topic survey administered with 1 to 5
rating scale to attain quantifiable data. Output
● Turning tables away because of
inadequate staffing. ● Loss in revenue. ● Lack of staff training. ● Miscommunication between
management and employees. Motivation
● Motivation is the force that
drives employees to behave a
● Two ways: Extrinsic motivation
and Intrinsic motivation.
● Managers are not motivating
employees to perform at the
level that they wish their
employees are at. Employee
“Just my paycheck!”
-Matt Breznak Employer
“[I motivate] By giving
freedom to work things
out on their own and
solve customer issues
-Mark Pascal Analysis
● Every employee responds to extrinsic and intrinsic motivation
● To produce a competent team, management have to use both
of their tactics to motivate employees.
● Harvard Business Review: “a solid performance management system requires due respect to both
intrinsic and extrinsic rewards.” Justice
● Justice is the moral right and
wrong of a decision made by
company executives and
● Two ways: distributive and
● Employees are not getting fairly
rewarded or job assigned for
additional efforts on work. Employee
Standpoint “There is no one to
split my work during
busy time, and there
is no increase in
salary.” “All works are fairly
assigned to all the
employees, and they
should be satisfied
with their assignments.” -Carlos Stanley -Julie Blauvelt Analysis
● Management believes that the distributive and procedural
justices are achieved, the employees always do not feel the
● Uneasy relationship between managers and the employees.
● Increase communication so manager knows which motivation
strategy fits each employee. Recommendation #1
● Regular meetings with
● Develop personal goals.
● Hands-on training for
different job requirements.
● Making employees more
Factory ● 320 hours of professional
development training per
● “Team Member of the
Month,” “Commitment to
● More productive and more
content in the workplace.
● Stage Left can increase
revenue. Recommendation #2
● Openly communicating
with their employees.
● Transparency in
● Clarifying system of
procedure. Google ● Open communication is an
essential part of Google’s
● “Open door policy”
● “Encourages an open flow of communication,
fosters closer working
allows for faster access to
information.” Communication Methods
● Present our findings directly to
Stage Left management.
● Focus on how they can be more
profitable as a business by
following the recommendations.
● Allow employees to take a poll on
their approval of our
View Full Document
- Fall '14
- Julie Blauvelt