Unformatted text preview: Sociology
10 March, 2018 Which norm violations you selected and why. The norms violation I selected are
1. Standing close to someone while talking, I choose this because I’m a stickler for personal
space and I know what my reaction would be, and wanted to see what other reaction
2. Failing to make eye contact during a conversation, I choose this because my mother
stated that it was a sign of disrespect.
3. Failing to reply to social greetings such as “hello,” “goodbye,” or saying “thank you”, I
also chose this norm because I was raised to believe it is a sign of disrespect to not say
Where, when, and with whom you violated the norms.
1. I stood extremely close to my manager at work.
2. I was conversing with a co-worker at work.
3. This one I chose to test in my family during Sunday dinner at my grandmother’s house.
What took place while you were violating the norm. I was asking my manager about something
pertaining to my job. My co-worker felt as though I was not interested in anything she was
saying to me.
The reaction of those who witnessed the norm violation.
1. My co-workers just stared at me as if I was doing something wrong. My manager ask me
to move back because I was invading her personal space.
2. My manager witnessed me not making eye contact with my co-work and thought there
was an underlying issue I had with my co-worker.
3. I walked into my grandmothers house and did not say a word. My grandma told me to
turn around and try again. She literally put me out the house and made me say hello to
every person there before I could re-enter
Explain why norms an important part of social structure.
Norms are an important part of a social structure because they define appropriate behavior for
all social groups.
Explain why some norms are more important for the social order than others.
Some Norms provide order in society. Some Norms allow people to move from one social group
to another while acting accordingly. Explain why a better understanding of norms can make you a better employee, co-worker or
Understanding norms allows you be to successful in the work place by helping you to
understand what is acceptable behavior. ...
View Full Document
- Fall '15
- Sociology, norm violations