GEOG*1220 Unit 3 Notes - ● Humans have transformed aspects of earth’s system ● Way biophysical environment operates has stayed same ● Atmosphere

GEOG*1220 Unit 3 Notes - ● Humans have transformed...

This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 5 pages.

Humans have transformed aspects of earth’s system Way biophysical environment operates has stayed same Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and Lithosphere Biosphere is biotic sphere, living sphere Driving - Pollution to Atmosphere Lithosphere - Oils taken from Lithosphere - Building roads Hydrosphere - Asphalt roads Biosphere is always affected Energy Most energy is derived from the sun The sun emits radiant energy, which travels essentially undisturbed until reaching the Earth. The Earth reflects about 35% of the sun’s energy back into space. The remainder of this energy (about 65%) is converted into other form Much energy is absorbed at the surface and converted to heat energy (sensible heat). This energy is used to heat the earth’s surface, which, ultimately, leads to heating of the atmosphere, the oceans and the ground Some of this energy is converted to kinetic energy The Circulation of the Atmosphere and Human Impact The atmosphere functions to regulate heat and radiation. Without the atmosphere, heat and radiation would be gained and lost quite rapidly, making the earth a planet of extremes like Mars and Mercury. If there were no atmosphere, the mean temperature of the earth would be at least 35°C cooler. The atmosphere acts to maintain heat at the surface
Image of page 1

Subscribe to view the full document.

atmosphere allows certain wavelengths of radiant energy to pass through freely while absorbing other wavelengths.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Ask Expert Tutors You can ask 0 bonus questions You can ask 0 questions (0 expire soon) You can ask 0 questions (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes