Name: Razi Hussain The Awakening Study GuideCHAPTER I1. Explain how the parrot and the mockingbird are used to introduce this chapter.
2. Describe Léonce Pontellier.
3. What does the following quotation tell you about Léonce’s attitude toward his wife? He looked “at his
4. Who is Robert Lebrun?
CHAPTER II1. Describe Edna Pontellier.
2. What kind of person is Robert Lebrun?
3. What shift in point of view is evident in Chapter Two?
CHAPTER III1. How does Léonce’s behavior when he returns from the Klein Hotel reveal his attitude toward his wife?
2. What shows the reader more signs of the marital conflict between the Pontelliers?
3. Discuss how sounds are used as a backdrop to the scene of disagreement between Léonce and Edna. How is the sea used as a symbol?
4. How does the gift Edna receives from her husband symbolize her marriage and most marriages of this time?
CHAPTER IV1. Describe the unusual nature of the relationship between Edna and her children.