Unformatted text preview: 5. Ultraviolet radiation is considered to be damaging because (2 points)
a. The chemical bonds in ozone are relatively weak
b. The chemical bonds in oxygen are relatively weak
[c.) UV radiation is energetic to break bonds in molecules.
It converts ozone into oxygen
6. Which reaction takes place in the catalytic converter of an automobile? (2 points)
conversion of C and Oz to CO2
conversion of NO to N2 and Oz
conversion of COz to CO
conversion of SO, to S and Oz
7. Which of the following is true for a certain electromagnetic radiation with a
wavelength of 6.5 x 10 3 m? Show calculations to receive credit (3 points)
a. v = 2.2 x 10"1 /s
`b. A=4.6 x 10 m
CE = 4.3 x 10-36j
d E = 3.0 x 10-231
C = 3x 108
8. A certain brand of skin moisturizer advertises that it contains SPF 15 Sunscreen that
protects from UV-A and UV-B rays. Why isn't UV-C mentioned in its product claims?
a. UV-C radiation is not absorbed by ozone, so it has no connection to the story of
increased exposure to UV rays or ozone depletion.
b. UV-C radiation is not as dangerous as is UV-A or UV-B radiation, so whether or
not we are shielded from it doesn't matter.
c UV-C radiation is extremely dangerous, but it is completely absorbed in the upper
atmosphere by oxygen, Oz as well as ozone, O3-
d. No protection is necessary. UV-C radiation is a natural part of the sun's
electromagnetic spectrum. Therefore, it has the same potential for harm as
9. Classify each of the following as an allotrope, an isotope, a free radical, or none of
those (1 point each)
a. H' and Cl"
b. Oz and O3
c. "216.X and "gX
d. " X and " x _Icombge...
View Full Document
- Fall '07
- Ultraviolet, UV radiation, 10 m, 10 3 m, 36J, UV-C