Emily Dickinson Collection.pdf - AMHERST COLLEGE ARCHIVES...

This preview shows page 1 out of 216 pages.

Unformatted text preview: AMHERST COLLEGE ARCHIVES AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS EMILY DICKINSON COLLECTION Quantity: 21 linear feet Containers: 24 archives boxes, 8 half archives boxes, 8 oversize boxes, 6 specialty boxes Processed: 1999-2006 By: Barbara Trippel Simmons, Processing Archivist Daria D’Arienzo, Head of Archives and Special Collections Mariah Sakrejda-Leavitt, Archives and Special Collections Assistant Jo-Anne Chapin, Archives and Special Collections Assistant Marika Hashimoto, AC 2006, Student Assistant Finding Aid: 2003-2006 Prepared by: Barbara Trippel Simmons, Processing Archivist Daria D’Arienzo, Head of Archives and Special Collections Mariah Sakrejda-Leavitt, Archives and Special Collections Assistant Margaret R. Dakin, Archives and Special Collections Associate John Lancaster, Curator of Special Collections Edited by: Daria D’Arienzo, Head of Archives and Special Collections Access: Access to original material and artifacts is restricted for preservation reasons; photocopies of Dickinson’s poems and letters are used. Permission from the Head of Archives and Special Collections is required to use original Dickinson material. Original poems and letters will not be photocopied due to preservation concerns, duplications will be made from the Emily Dickinson Photocopy Collection instead. Materials from other institutions which are found in the Emily Dickinson Collections cannot be duplicated, as indicated. Copyright: Requests for permission to publish material from the Collection should be directed to the Head of Archives and Special Collections. Because reproducing a manuscript necessarily reproduces the text it contains, permission to publish reproductions or facsimiles of original Dickinson © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 1 manuscript material from the Amherst collection will also require the permission of Harvard University, which claims rights in all Dickinson manuscript texts. Amherst’s permission is contingent on Harvard’s being granted, and a copy of Harvard’s permission must be supplied to Amherst. Permission requests to Harvard University should be directed to Office of Copyrights and Permissions, Harvard University Press, 79 Garden Street, Cambridge, Mass. 02138-1499 (tel. 617-495-2600; fax 617-496-4677). The office does not accept email requests. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 2 EMILY DICKINSON COLLECTION TABLE OF CONTENTS Chronology ............................................................................................................... 4 Genealogical Chart ................................................................................................... 11 Introduction .............................................................................................................. 13 History of the Papers and Their Organization ......................................................... 15 Related Material ....................................................................................................... 15 Description of the Papers Organization ........................................................................................................ 18 Scope and Content Note ...................................................................................... 18 Information about Books Owned, Inscribed, or Attributed to Ownership by Emily Dickinson ................................................................ 18 Series Descriptions ............................................................................................. 20 Box and Folder Listing ............................................................................................ 24 Appendix 1: Table of Manuscripts in Series 1 ........................................................ 135 Appendix 2: Table of Transcriptions in Series 2 ..................................................... 178 Appendix 3: Table of Mabel Loomis Todd Publication Correspondence in Series 2....................................................................... 191 © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 3 Emily Dickinson Collection EMILY DICKINSON CHRONOLOGY 1813 Samuel Fowler Dickinson builds the “Homestead” on Main Street. 1820-1821 Samuel Fowler Dickinson serves on the building committee and provides major financial support for the construction of the first Amherst College building, South College. 1828 May 6 Edward Dickinson (AC 1823) and Emily Norcross marry. 1829 Apr 16 (William) Austin Dickinson (AC 1850), Emily’s brother, born in Amherst, Massachusetts. 1830 Dec 10 Emily Elizabeth Dickinson born in Amherst, Massachusetts. 1833 Feb 28 Lavinia Norcross Dickinson, Emily’s sister, born in Amherst, Massachusetts. 1835 Aug 4 Edward Dickinson appointed Treasurer of Amherst College. 1835 Sep 7 Emily Dickinson begins studying at primary school. 1840 Apr Dickinson family moves from the Homestead to a house on West Street (later North Pleasant Street) 1840 Sep 7 Emily Dickinson begins studies at Amherst Academy. 1844 May-Jun Emily Dickinson visits relatives in Boston following the death of her friend Sophia Holland. 1845 1846 Emily Dickinson silhouette cut by Charles Temple (AC1845), her former French instructor at Amherst Academy. Aug-Sep Emily Dickinson travels to Boston for her health. 1846 Dec 10Emily Dickinson daguerreotype made by William C. North, “Daguerrian ca. 1847 late Mar Artist” in Amherst. 1847 Aug Emily Dickinson graduates from Amherst Academy. 1847 Sep Emily Dickinson begins at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 4 Emily Dickinson Collection 1848 Aug Emily Dickinson withdraws from Mount Holyoke and returns home to Amherst. 1850 Feb “Magnum bonum” published for Valentines day in The Indicator, an Amherst College student publication. 1851 Sep 6-22 Emily Dickinson and Lavinia Dickinson visit Boston. 1852 Feb 20 “Sic transit gloria mundi” published by the Springfield Republican under the title “A Valentine.” 1852 Dec 17 Edward Dickinson elected Representative to Congress. 1855 [Feb-Mar] Emily Dickinson and Lavinia Dickinson travel to Washington, D.C. 1855 [Mar 4] Emily Dickinson meets the Reverend Charles Wadsworth in Philadelphia. 1855 Nov Emily Norcross Dickinson, the poet’s mother, becomes ill. 1855 Nov Dickinson family moves back to the Homestead. 1856 Jul 1 William Austin Dickinson marries Susan Huntington Gilbert. 1858 Emily Dickinson begins recording poems in fascicles (sewn packets). 1858 Spring Emily Dickinson drafts the first surviving “Master” letter (AC no. 827). 1858 Aug 2 “Nobody knows this little rose” published by the Springfield Republican under the title “To Mrs. ----, with a Rose. [Surreptitiously communicated to The Republican.]” 1860 [Mar] Reverend Charles Wadsworth visits Emily Dickinson in Amherst. 1861 Early Emily Dickinson drafts second surviving “Master” letter (AC no. 829). 1861 May 4 “I taste a liquor never brewed” published by the Springfield Republican under the title “The May-Wine.” 1861 June 19 Austin and Susan Dickinson’s first child, Edward Austin (Ned) (AC 1884), is born. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 5 Emily Dickinson Collection 1861 Summer Emily Dickinson drafts third surviving “Master” letter (AC no. 828). 1862 Mar 1 “Safe in their Alabaster Chambers” published by the Springfield Republican under the title “The Sleeping”. 1862 Apr Emily Dickinson begins corresponding with writer and liberal activist Thomas Wentworth Higginson. 1864 Mar “Flowers - Well - if anybody” published by Drum Beat, Springfield Republican and Boston Post under the title “Flowers” 1864 Mar 11 “These are the days when birds come back” published by Drum Beat under the title “October.” 1864 Mar 12 “Some keep the Sabbath Going to Church” published by the Round Table under the title “My Sabbath.” 1864 Feb, Mar “Blazing in Gold, and Quenching in Purple” published by Drum Beat and the Springfield Republican under the title “Sunset.” 1864 Apr 27 “Success is counted sweetest” published by the Brooklyn Daily Union. 1864 Apr-Nov Emily Dickinson in Boston for eye treatment. 1864 May 13 Austin Dickinson drafted to fight in the Civil War; he pays $500 for a substitute. 1865 [Apr] Emily Dickinson returns to Boston for eye treatment. 1866 Feb 14, 17 “A narrow fellow in the grass” published by the Springfield Republican under the title “The Snake.” 1866 Nov 29 Susan and Austin Dickinson’s second child, Martha Gilbert (Mattie), is born. 1870 Aug 16 Thomas Wentworth Higginson visits Emily Dickinson in Amherst. 1872 Jul 10 Edward Dickinson resigns as Treasurer of Amherst College, Austin Dickinson succeeds him as Treasurer in 1873. 1873 Dec 3 Thomas Wentworth Higginson visits Emily Dickinson for a second time. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 6 Emily Dickinson Collection 1874 Jun 16 Edward Dickinson dies. 1875 Jun 15 Emily Norcross Dickinson is paralyzed. 1875 Aug 1 Susan and Austin Dickinson’s third child, Thomas Gilbert (Gib), is born. 1877 June 28 Samuel Bowles visits Emily Dickinson in Amherst. 1878 Nov 20 “Success is counted sweetest” published in A Masque of Poets. 1880 [Aug] Reverend Charles Wadsworth visits Emily Dickinson in Amherst. 1880 Aug & Sep Judge Otis Lord and nieces visit Amherst. 1880 Dec 25 Judge Otis Lord gives Emily Dickinson Complete Concordance to Shakspere. 1881 Apr Judge Otis Lord guest at The Evergreens. 1882 Apr 1 Reverend Charles Wadsworth dies. 1882 Apr 16 Judge Otis Lord visits Emily Dickinson in Amherst. 1882 May 1 Judge Otis Lord critically ill. 1882 Nov 14 Emily Norcross Dickinson dies. 1883 Oct 5 Thomas Gilbert (Gib), Emily Dickinson’s nephew, dies at the age of eight of typhoid fever. 1884 Mar 15 Judge Otis Lord dies. 1886 May 15 Emily Dickinson dies. 1886 May 19 Emily Dickinson’s funeral in The Homestead library. 1890 Nov 12 Poems, the first published volume of Emily Dickinson’s poetry, edited by Thomas Wentworth Higginson and Mabel Loomis Todd, is published by Roberts Brothers. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 7 Emily Dickinson Collection 1891 Nov 19 The second series of Poems, edited by Thomas Wentworth Higginson and Mabel Loomis Todd, is published by Roberts Brothers. 1894 Nov 21 Letters of Emily Dickinson in 2 volumes, edited by Mabel Loomis Todd, is published by Roberts Brothers. 1895 Aug 16 William Austin Dickinson dies. 1896 Sep 1 Mabel Loomis Todd edits the third series of Poems, published by Roberts Brothers. 1896 Nov 16 Lavinia Dickinson files a suit against Mabel Loomis Todd over a piece of land she had earlier deeded to the Todds at Austin’s request. The case is decided in Lavinia’s favor. 1899 Aug 31 Lavinia Dickinson dies. 1903 Jul 19 Martha Dickinson marries Alexander Emmanuel Bianchi, known as “Count Bianchi,” of Russia at the Church of the Russian Embassy in Dresden, Germany. 1913 May 12 Susan Dickinson dies. 1914 The Single Hound, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi, is published by Little, Brown and Company. 1924 The Life and Letters of Emily Dickinson, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi, is published by Jonathan Cape. 1924 The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi and Alfred Leete Hampson, is published by Little, Brown and Company. 1929 Further Poems of Emily Dickinson, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi, is published by Little, Brown and Company. 1931 Letters of Emily Dickinson, edited by Mabel Loomis Todd, is published by Harper Brothers. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 8 Emily Dickinson Collection 1932 1932 Emily Dickinson Face to Face: Unpublished Letters with notes and Reminiscences by Martha Dickinson Bianchi is published by Houghton Mifflin Company. Oct 14 Mabel Loomis Todd dies. 1935 Unpublished Poems of Emily Dickinson, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi and Alfred Leete Hampson, is published by Little, Brown and Company. 1937 Poems by Emily Dickinson, edited by Martha Dickinson Bianchi and Alfred Leete Hampson, is published by Little, Brown and Company. 1943 Dec 21 Martha Dickinson Bianchi dies. She bequeaths The Evergreens to Alfred Leete Hampson, it later passes into the hands of his widow, Mary Landis Hampson. 1945 Bolts of Melody: New Poems of Emily Dickinson, edited by Mabel Loomis Todd and Millicent Todd Bingham, is published by Harper and Brothers. 1945 Ancestors’ Brocades by Millicent Todd Bingham is published by Harper and Brothers. 1951 Emily Dickinson’s Letters to Dr. And Mrs. Josiah Gilbert Holland, edited by Theodora Van Wagenen Ward, is published by Harvard University Press. 1954 Emily Dickinson: A Revelation by Millicent Todd Bingham is published by Harper and Brothers. 1955 The Poems of Emily Dickinson in 3 volumes, edited by Thomas H. Johnson, is published by Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. 1955 Emily Dickinson’s Home by Millicent Todd Bingham is published by Harper and Brothers. 1956 Mar 23 Millicent Todd Bingham donates the majority of the Emily Dickinson Collection material to Amherst College. The donation includes 850 poems and fragments, 350 letters, publication material, and objects, including the Dickinson daguerreotype and silhouette. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 9 Emily Dickinson Collection 1958 The Letters of Emily Dickinson in 3 volumes, edited by Thomas H. Johnson and Theodora Ward, is published by Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. 1960 The Years and Hours of Emily Dickinson by Jay Leyda is published by Yale University Press. 1965 Jan Amherst College purchases the Dickinson Homestead. 1965 Dec 1 Millicent Todd Bingham dies. 1983 Apr 18 A lock of Emily Dickinson’s hair and letter to Emily Fowler (AC no. 72) are given to Amherst College by William R. Bailey in memory of his mother, Gillian Barr Bailey, and in the name of himself and his brothers and sisters. 1986 1988 The Master Letters of Emily Dickinson, edited by R. W. Franklin, is published by Amherst College Press. Jan 3 Mary Landis Hampson, the last owner of The Evergreens, dies. 1991 The ownership of The Evergreens passes to the Martha Dickinson Bianchi Trust. The trust was established by Mary Landis Hampson in her will to preserve The Evergreens as a cultural resource. 1998 The Poems of Emily Dickinson, Variorum Edition, edited by Ralph W. Franklin, is published by Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. 1998 Emily Dickinson: A Letter is published by Amherst College Press. It is republished with a revised introduction in 2006. 2003 Jan The Martha Dickinson Bianchi Trust transfers ownership of The Evergreens to Amherst College. The Emily Dickinson Museum is created, composed of The Homestead and The Evergreens. 2006 Dec Three additional Dickinson manuscripts and an envelope (Ms. 53-56) are given to Amherst College by Thomas Michie. This chronology was adapted from The Cambridge Companion to Emily Dickinson, edited by Wendy Martin; The Life of Emily Dickinson by Richard Sewall and Archives and Special Collections files. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 10 Emily Dickinson Collection © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 11 Emily Dickinson Collection © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 12 Emily Dickinson Collection INTRODUCTION Emily Elizabeth Dickinson was born in Amherst, Massachusetts, on December 10, 1830 to Edward Dickinson (AC 1823) and Emily Norcross Dickinson. She attended Amherst Academy from 1840 to 1847, then enrolled at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary from 1847 to 1848. She remained in Amherst for the rest of her life, and traveled only briefly to Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. For virtually her entire adult life, Emily lived in the Dickinson home at 280 Main Street with her father, mother, and her younger sister, Lavinia, who Emily called “Vinnie.” Her brother, (William) Austin (AC 1850) lived next door with his wife, Susan Huntington Gilbert, one of Emily’s closest friends. Emily was very close to their three children, Ned (Edward) (AC 1884), Mattie (Martha), and Gib (Thomas Gilbert). After the death of her father in 1874 and her mother the following year, Emily remained in the family home, living alone with Vinnie. Emily died there on May 15, 1886, at the age of 55. Renowned for a severe reclusiveness that began when she was in her 20s, Dickinson maintained warm and close relationships with family and friends through the medium of letters, frequently containing poems. Some of her most frequent correspondents outside of her family were childhood friends Abiah Root and Emily Fowler (Ford); her friend and later sister-in-law, Susan Huntington Gilbert (Dickinson); Samuel Bowles, editor of the Springfield Republican; Reverend Charles Wadsworth, a minister and poet; Thomas Wentworth Higginson, writer and liberal activist; Josiah Gilbert and Elizabeth Chapin Holland; and Adelaide Spencer (Mrs. Henry) Hills. A significant correspondent around 1858-1861 was a mysterious love interest who Dickinson referred to as “Master.” It is not clear who this person may have been or what form any relationship between them took - only three draft letters by Dickinson to “Master” are known. Another important person Dickinson’s life was Judge Otis Phillips Lord, with whom Dickinson had a romantic relationship starting in the late 1870s until his death in 1884. Although Emily and Lavinia were very close, and Lavinia was aware that Emily wrote poetry, she was not aware of the extent of her sister’s writing. Upon Emily’s death, Lavinia discovered how prolific and talented her sister had been when she found 1,775 poems in Emily’s bureau drawer. Emily wrote some 1,789 poems, some contained in letters to friends and family, some sewn together in little bundles called fascicles that Emily stored in her drawers, some written on scraps of paper like shopping lists or envelope flaps. Lavinia preserved the poems she found, distributing them between Mabel Loomis Todd and Susan Dickinson, but destroyed all of Emily’s correspondence in accord with her sister’s previously expressed wishes. Within 10 years of Emily’s death, three volumes of her poetry and two volumes of her letters were published by Thomas Wentworth Higginson and Mabel Loomis Todd, a woman with whom Austin had a long-term affair during his marriage to Susan. Emily Dickinson’s niece, Martha Dickinson Bianchi (Austin’s daughter), also helped to publish her aunt’s poetry beginning in 1914. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 13 Emily Dickinson Collection It was not until 1955, when Harvard published The Poems of Emily Dickinson edited by Thomas Johnson, that all of Dickinson’s poetry was available in a single source. In 1960, Jay Leyda published The Years and Hours of Emily Dickinson, a chronological documentation of the events in the lives of Emily Dickinson and her family and friends. In 1998, Ralph W. Franklin, published The Poems of Emily Dickinson, which documents revisions and different versions of the poet’s work. Unknown during her lifetime, Emily Dickinson is known today as one of the world’s most important and loved poets of all-time, in any language. © Amherst College Archives and Special Collections 2006 Page 14 Emily Dickinson Collection HISTORY OF THE COLLECTION AND ITS ORGANIZATION The majority of the materials in the Emily Dickinson Collection were given to the College on March 23, 1956, by Millicent Todd Bingham, the daughter of David Peck Todd (AC 1875) and Mabel Loomis Todd, and herself a Dickinson scholar and editor. The original collection consisted of 850 poems and fragments of poems; 350 letters, notes, and drafts to and from family and friends; the daguerreotype and silhouette of Emily Dickinson; and the extensive correspondence and publication material of Mabel Loomis Todd and Millicent Todd Bingham. The majority of the Dickins...
View Full Document

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture