Unformatted text preview: Chapter 6– Signed Numbers, Strings, and TablesHomework
Section 6.1: Signed Number Arithmetic Operations
1. In an 8-bit operand, bit ___ is used for the sign but, whereas in a 16-bit operand, bit ___
is used for the sign bit.
2. Convert 16H to its 2’s complement.
3. The range of byte-sized signed operands is ____ to _____. The range of word--sized
signed operands is ______ to _______.
4. Explain the difference between overflow and a carry.
5. Explain the purpose of the CBW and CWD instructions. Demonstrate the effect of CBW
on AL=F6H. Demonstrate the effect of CWD on AX=124CH
6. The instruction for signed multiplication is ________. The instruction for signed division
7. Explain the difference between the SHR and SAR instructions.
8. For each of the following instructions, indicate the flag condition necessary for each jump
b. JG ...
View Full Document
- Fall '14
- Addition, Elementary arithmetic, Negative and non-negative numbers, CBW