Unformatted text preview: Chapter 29 Self Quiz Result
You have answered 0 questions correctly. You have scored 0%.
The three stages of true labor, in order of occurrence, are: Intermittent contractions, regular contractions, birth Uterine contractions, dilation, expulsion Placental detachment, cervical dilation, birth Stage of dilation, stage of expulsion, placental stage Hormones produced by the corpus luteum are responsible for maintaining the pregnancy during
the first 3–4 months. The hormone responsible for preventing degeneration of the corpus luteum
is progesterone produced by the trophoblast. True False The mesoderm gives rise to all of the following body tissues except: Muscles Bones Skin Peritoneum Labor is an example of a negative feedback cycle that ends with the birth of the infant. True False Which of the following are true?
1. During implantation the outer cell mass of the blastocyst orients toward the endometrium.
2. The decidua basalis provides glycogen and lipids for the developing fetus.
3. The decidua parietalis becomes the maternal part of the placenta.
4. During implantation, the syncytiotrophoblast secretes enzymes that allow the blastocyst to
penetrate the uterine lining.
5. After fetal delivery, the decidua separates from the endometrium and is released from the
2, 4, and 5 1, 2, and 3 2, 3, 4, and 5 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 1, 3, and 5 Which of the following are maternal changes that occur during pregnancy?
1. Altered pulmonary function
2. Increased stroke volume, cardiac output, and heart rate, and decreased blood volume
3. Weight gain
4. Increased gastric motility, causing a delay in gastric emptying time
5. Edema and possible varicose veins 1, 2, 3, and 4 2, 3, 4, and 5 1, 3, 4, and 5 1, 3, and 5 2, 4, and 5 Which of the following statements is correct? Normal traits always dominate over abnormal traits. Occasionally an error in meiosis called nondisjunction results in an abnormal number of
chromosomes. The mother always determines the sex of the child because she has either an X or Y gene
in her oocytes. Most patterns of inheritance are simple dominantrecessive inheritances. Genes are expressed normally regardless of any outside influence such as chemicals or
radiation. Which of the following are true concerning fertilization?
1. The sperm first penetrate the zona pellucida and then the corona radiata.
2. The binding of specific membrane proteins in the sperm head to ZP3 causes the release of
3. Sperm are able to fertilize the oocyte within minutes after ejaculation.
4. Depolarization of the cell membrane of the secondary oocyte inhibits fertilization by more
than one sperm.
5. The oocyte completes meiosis II after fertilization. 1, 2, 4, and 5 1, 3, and 5 1, 2, 3, and 4 1, 4, and 5 2, 4, and 5 Amniotic fluid:
1. Is derived entirely from a filtrate of maternal blood
2. Acts as a fetal shock absorber
3. Provides nutrients to the fetus
4. Helps regulate fetal body temperature
5. Prevents adhesions between the skin of the fetus and surrounding tissues a) 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 b) 2, 4, and 5 c) 2, 3, 4, and 5 d) 1, 4, and 5 e) 1, 2, 4, and 5 Which of the following structures develop during the fourth week after fertilization?
1. Embryonic folding
2. The neural tube
3. Otic placode (beginning of the ear)
4. Beginning of the eyes
5. Upper and lower limb buds 1 and 2 1, 2, and 5 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 2, 3, and5 1, 3, 4, and 5 The outer layer of the cells in the blastocyst is known as the: Embryoblast Trophoblast Decidua Morula When blood vessels begin to form in the embryo during the third week of development, the
process is known as angiogenesis. True False The hormone that increases the flexibility of the pubic symphysis and helps dilate the uterine
cervix during labor is: Relaxin Prolactin Oxytocin Progesteron Cortisol is necessary to help promote lung maturation in a fetus. True False The process of giving birth may also be called: Capacitation Parturition Syngamy Puerperium An amniocentesis is a noninvasive test of the fetal cells that are found in the mother's blood. True False The physical expression of the genotype for an organism is the: Haplotype Dominant trait Recessive trait Phenotype Traits that are carried on the X or Y chromosomes follow polygenic inheritance patterns True False The outer layer of the blastocyst will eventually form the: Chorion and fetal portion of the placenta Maternal portion of the placenta and the allantois Amnion and chorion Umbilical cord and allantois Because a human embryo gets its nourishment from the mother, the yolk sac has no role in
human development. True False This is the end of the test. When you have reviewed your answers, press the button
below to retake a test. Retake a Test ...
View Full Document
- Spring '12
- progesterone, Oxytocin, Amnion, Decidua Morula