Lecture 4- 1.31.docx - Spatial thinking in Geography o The non-spatial thinking examples were very abstract not related to geographic thinking o But in

Lecture 4- 1.31.docx - Spatial thinking in Geography o The...

This preview shows page 1 - 2 out of 2 pages.

Spatial thinking in Geography: o The non-spatial thinking examples were very abstract, not related to geographic thinking o But in geography, we also use spatial thinking to examine and interpret patterns. GIS helps us by illustrating and measuring patterns to help us make decisions o A priori knowledge is a big part of interpretation of imagery and maps so Geographers learn a lot about how the world usually looks/works/is organized. GIS thinking o Why do the coastlines of South America and Africa look like they are a puzzle that used to fit together? The pattern on paper maps in 1912 told Alfred Wegener that the continents were moving and their current positions were not always as they are now Spatial thinking o 75% of the battle in GIS is knowing WHAT to do. You need a recipe for making a dish or for solving a spatial problem. From these examples, you are developing that thought process – classic spatial thinking o The other 25% is knowing HOW to make the software follow your recipe. That is hard to
Image of page 1
Image of page 2

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read both pages?

  • Fall '18
  • Geography, Waldo Tobler, spatial thinking examples

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes