This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: VNSA220 VNSA220 Cyber Self Defense
Cookies! © Daryl G Johnson & Bill Stackpole 2006 What a cookie is not! What a cookie is not!
• Not a program or piece of code • Does not gather information on or from your system or you
– I.e., Can’t read your files – It cannot be executed Then what is a cookie? Then what is a cookie?
• Text file • Placed on your system by your browser • Contents?
– At the request of a website – You’re letting this happen! – Namevalue pairs – Information provided by website – It personalizes a website visit Cookie Attributes Cookie Attributes
• Typically contains
– Domain where cookie came from – Lifetime of the cookie – Unique assigned id number Types of Cookies Types of Cookies
• Session cookies
– Erased at the end of a session • What constitutes a session? – Kept until they expire, or you delete them • Persistent cookies What are cookies good for? What are cookies good for?
• Web browsing is transaction oriented
– Each request is independent from the last or next – Browser keeps no state information from request to request – What was I doing last? – What were my preferences? • Like postit notes for website visits Uses Uses
• Unique visitor counts • Preferences – Backgrounds – Local zip, area code (weather) – Identity – Persistence of experience – To customize your visit Example usage Example usage
• • •
User visits website and logs in with ID/ password If accepted, website sends back a unique generated ID # to be placed in cookie Next transaction sent
– – – asks for cookie gets ID # Knows who you are • http://cookiedemo.com/ So what’s so bad about So what’s so bad about cookies?
– Monitor patterns • Visitation • Search • What ads you will click on (or have already) – It’s worth money! What do they look like? What do they look like?
– C:\windows\cookies – Cookies folder in account • http://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/person • GET /store/buy.asp?checkout=yes HTTP/1.0
Host: www.onlineshop.com Accept: */* Referrer: http://www.onlineshop.com/showprods.asp Cookie: SESSIONID=570321ASDD23SA2321; BasketSize=3; Item1=2892; Item2=3210; Item3=9942; TotalPrice=16044; ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/27/2009 for the course NSSA 4050-220 taught by Professor Golen during the Fall '08 term at RIT.
- Fall '08