Articles of Confederation
weren’t working out. It was hard to bind states together.
- no power to tax and no leadership. Both problems grew out of the British problems.
The states realize the articles suck. They are competing with each other.
- there is a convention to fix the problems. They threw out the articles and created a new
constitution. The continental congress sent out new legislature to be signed by each state. So, in 1789, a
new constitution was implemented.
- pushed the constitution, people like Alexander Hamilton and John Jay
- didn’t want the government to have a lot of power, like Thomas Jefferson. They
nay-said everything, but didn’t offer alternatives. But Jefferson represented a Virginian, not an American.
- it’s a playbook for the government. (Senators- 6yrs; house- 2 yrs; president- 4 yrs). It
did not say anything about the people’s rights b/c it did not include the Bill of Rights.
10 Amendments for the
Bill of Rights
1) freedom of speech, religion, assembly, press, petition the government
2) right to bare arms
3) no quartering troops in times of peace
4) protection from unreasonable search and seizure
5) due process, no double jeopardy, no self- incrimination, may not be deprived of private property
6) right to a speedy trial
7) civil trial by jury
8) no excessive bail or cruel and unusual punishment
9) protection of rights not specified
10) powers are given to the states or the people
was the man!! He was a thinker and decades before his time. Tariffs would be a
source of income, since we were $80 million in debt. He said to pay it off with bonds. He wanted to start a
bank b/c he thought it would stop inflation. He had 4 ideas:
1) governments needs supported internal improvements
2) taxes/tariffs for American interests
3) bank of America, fiscal service to help
4) a standing army
were in power 1788-1800.
was brought down b/c of the Alien & Sedition Act, which was to keep the French out, but it
was a way to use the legal system to keep people from free speech. It scared people.
comes to power b/c of luck.
(Adams, Burr, Jefferson) The person w/the most votes win. Jefferson and burr each got equal electoral
votes. Nobody would back down. House of Reps
tie. They voted 36 times, a tie each time. Hamilton
thought that Jefferson was the lesser of 2 evils, so he basically hands Jefferson the presidency (his political
enemy). Burr becomes the Vice President.
We were in really bad debt b/c of the Revolutionary War.
Hamilton came up with the idea to impose a
25% tax on whiskey, to be paid by farmers. This would make the price of whiskey increase. In 1794, civil
protests turned into an armed rebellion.
Marbury vs. Madison