Short Definition/Answer I
How is the South Indian tala divided up?
- drum cycles, keep track using clapping system on hands, most common type triputa,
common type for tala is the adi tala.Made of threee different elements, anudrutam,
drutam, laghu. (clapping system)
List and describe 4 of India's "Claims to Fame"
- early civilization, highest mountain peaks (everest), manmade things such as the taj
mahal, hinduism and buddhism originated there, bollywood
What is the theka?
- in a tala, the drum strokes have certain words, the entire pattern or set of words the
drummer calls the notes (one cycle long)
What is the highest mountain peak in the world, and what mountain range is it in? How
were both named?
- everest, himalayas, everest guy who climbed it, hima-snow layla-home in Sanskrit
In regards to Indian raga music, what is a rasa?
- how you feel, the mood that creates a similar state of mind in the music of the musician
and the listener
Define a guru
- a master of art and teacher, student is an apprintice, teaches about music and life, highly
respected and honored
Describe a Bhajan
- hindu equilivant of a hymn, folk and religious genre, sung by lay (common) people, can
make them up or traditional.
Who is Ravi Shankar?
- India's most famous musician, plays the sitar
Define a North Indian tala.
- drummer plays a cycle of strokes, closed cycle, fixed number of beats, tin tal has 16
beats divided into 4 groups most well known, end on the 1st note of next section (triputa
in the south)
How many languages does the Indian constitution says there are?
What two countries used to be no-man’s land in the South Asia region? Which countries
or world powers are associated with each country?
- Afghanistan, Iran