C489_TASK_3_revised_edition.docx - Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership C489 Task 3 1 Western Governors university Organizational Systems and

C489_TASK_3_revised_edition.docx - Organizational Systems...

This preview shows page 1 - 4 out of 10 pages.

Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership C489 Task 3 1 Western Governors university Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership C489 Task 3 Abdulai Samuel Sefoi
Image of page 1
Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership C489 Task 3 2 1A. In this paper I am going to compare United States healthcare system to that of Germany healthcare system. 2. Access In comparing US healthcare system to that of Germany, several connections could be drawn as well as differences that makes each healthcare system distinct. In the United States (U.S.), the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was enacted in 2010 to increase access to quality and affordable care through what was termed “shared responsibility” A concept that was conceived to bring together government, employers and individuals for the sole aim of expanding access to high standard but low-cost health insurance. It is safe to say that the U.S. insurance coverage remains disintegrated. Data from the Commonwealth Fund estimates that about 55.7% of insurance coverage is provided by employers, 14.6% through private pay and 37.1% accounts for public coverage; Medicare 16.3%, Medicaid 19.6%. The employer mandate requires employers to provide health insurance to their employees, while the individual mandate required individuals who work get health insurance through the insurance marketplace if not through employment. Failure to do so will result in penalty or fine. Subsidized or tax incentive state plans were developed to ensure that low income individuals get help in getting health insurance. The uninsured rate dropped from 9.1% to 8.6% after the ACA was enacted through the first quarter of 2016. People who are 65 years and older qualifies for Medicare. ( International Healthcare System Profile: The U.S. Healthcare System). Despite the enactment of ACA, health insurance is yet to be comprehensive and with the political fight to end both the individual and employer mandate, the future of
Image of page 2
Organizational Systems and Quality Leadership C489 Task 3 3 coverage for all is not clear. The ACA allows children stays on their parent’s insurance until they are 26 years old. Medicare provides health insurance to those age 65 and older and the disabled. ( Ridic, Gleason, & Ridic,. 2012). One key difference between Germans’ system to that of the U.S. is that the cost of family insurance in U.S. is also determined by the size of the family. Moreover, in the US, those without insurance seeks medical care from community clinics for free or through a sliding fee. Others utilizes the emergency room, cost covered by the hospital or the federal or state government. On the other hand, Germany is taunted to have one of the most cost effective and successful healthcare systems in the world. Germany has what it calls “sickness funds” which is a compulsory contribution made by those who work and earn certain income. About 240 nonprofit insurance providers makes up the public options that covers 90% of Germans, while the remaining 10% who are considered high income individuals get health insurance through private and for-profit insurers. Germany does not have a fragmented system such as welfare,
Image of page 3
Image of page 4

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture