Test 1 practice problems-solutions

Test 1 practice problems-solutions - Answers to Test 1...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Answers to Test 1 Practice Problems: 1) 2.7183 2) a) "1 b) 4 5 c) !1 3 d) 1 10 e) !" b) L = !2 " = .075 3) a) L = 2 ! = .1 4) a) 1, This yields the slope of the (secant) line through the points (!1,1) and (2,4) on the graph of y = x2 b) 2, This yields the slope of the line that is tangent to the graph of y = x 2 at the point (1,1) c) Part b 5) a) 214 229 245 262 = = = = 1.07 200 214 229 245 In an exponential function the ratios of the successive terms are equal. b) P(t) = 200(1.07) t c) 450 people d) t = 18.5 years. So in year 2008. 6) (I used Mathematica for the calculations. You could use your calculators) t1=100.862-.0415*Sqrt[4000+431.03] 98.099512 t2=100.862-.0415*Sqrt[4500+431.03] 97.947816 Since T (h) is a continuous function and T (4500) < 98 o < T (4000) there is a corresponding elevation, h where 4000 < h < 4500 such that T (h) = 98o . 7) Squeeze Theorem "1% a) I would find two different functions that "fit" on either side of x 2 sin 2 $ ' close to x = 0 . # x& I would find the limit of each of these functions. "1% If these limits are the same, I would know x 2 sin 2 $ ' had that same limit. # x& ! b) #1& 0 " sin 2 % ( " 1 $ x' ! #1& 0 ) x 2 " x 2 ) sin 2 % ( " 1) x 2 $ x' #1& 0 " x 2 sin 2 % ( " x 2 $ x' #1& lim 0 = 0 lim x 2 = 0 +lim x 2 sin 2 % ( = 0 x *0 x *0 x *0 $ x' ! 8) a) discontinuous at x = 0, 3 ! x = 0 nonremovable b) x = 3 removable ! 2 c) at x = 3 define g(x) = 3 ! x = 0 is a VA d) horizontal asymptotes y = 0 ! ! ! ...
View Full Document

This test prep was uploaded on 04/01/2008 for the course MATH 1205 taught by Professor Fbhinkelmann during the Fall '08 term at Virginia Tech.

Page1 / 2

Test 1 practice problems-solutions - Answers to Test 1...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online