Unformatted text preview: B) 1650
8) It found no favor with the
art historian and Medieval chronicler Johan
Huizinga, who described the painting as apalling
9) Etienne Chevalier with St Stephen. This oil painting depicts the donor kneeling alongside his
10) One of her breasts is exposed, while in her lap sits the baby Jesus, one of whose
forefingers points in the direction of Chevalier as if to suggest that his prayer for divine
clemency will be answered. The identity of the
is supposedly that of Agnes
Sorel, the exceptionally beautiful and influential mistress of Charles VII, and probably
also of Chevalier himself.
D) Nicki Minaj
11) Who sits on a throne borne up by angels?
The Virgin Mary
* 12) Wholly gratuitous- there is no suggestion that the infant who is about to feed from it-
its large size, pert appearance, and perfectly spherical shape is a deliberate celebration
of sensual beauty, and utterly inappropriate to the Queen of Heaven? True
13) A mural inscription
" is clearly visible.
* 14) He has a Gallic physiognomy and a surreal haughtiness. A non-intrusive, Italian-
Renaissance-style background, seemingly that of a church wall, shows pilasters
alternating with inlaid marble panels. True
15) Fouquet paints Sorel with a Slim_waist, fashionably shaved haircut, and
wearing a highly fashionable robe....
View Full Document
- Fall '19