Quiz05 - Physical Chemistry (I) Quiz 05 Dec. 13, 2007 1....

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Physical Chemistry (I) Quiz 05 Dec. 13, 2007 1. (10%) Using a simple P-x diagram to explain the standard states based on Raoult’s law and Henry’s law. (5%) Under what conditions these two standard states can be applied? (2%) What about a non-ideal solution in which x solvent = x solute = 0.5? (3%) 2. (10%) A and B form an ideal solution. At a total pressure of 1 atm, y A = 0.450 and x A = 0.650. Using this information, calculate the vapor pressure of pure A and of pure B. 3. (20%) Assume that 1-bromobutane and 1-chlorobutane form an ideal solution. At 273 K, * chloro P = 3790 Torr and * bromo P = 1394 Torr. When only a trace of liquid is present at 273 K, y chloro = 0.75. (a) Calculate the total pressure above the solution. (5%) (b) Calculate the mole fraction of 1-chlorobutane in the solution. (5%) (c) What value would Z chloro have in order for there to be 4.86 mol of liquid and 3.21 mol of gas at a total pressure equal to that in part (a)? (10%) 4. (15%) At 39.9ºC, a solution of ethanol ( x 1 = 0.9006, * 1 P =130.4 Torr) and isooctane ( * 2 P = 43.9 Torr) forms a vapor phase with y 1 = 0.6667 at a total pressure of 185.9 Torr. (a) Calculate the activity and activity coefficient of each component. (10%) (b) Calculate the total pressure that the solution would have if it were ideal. (5%) 5. (10%) The partial molar volumes of ethanol in a solution with 2 H O x = 0.60 at 25ºC are 17 and 57 cm 3 mol –1 , respectively. Calculate the volume change upon mixing sufficient ethanol with 2 mol of water to give this concentration. The densities of
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 6

Quiz05 - Physical Chemistry (I) Quiz 05 Dec. 13, 2007 1....

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online