Unformatted text preview: It is a function of character (personal motives) and competence (skills necessary to
Distinguishing traits of character is consistency and openness.
Qualities of an effective project manager
Contradictions of project management include:
1. Innovate and maintain stability.
2. See the big picture while getting your hands dirty.
3. Encourage individuals but stress the team.
4. Hands off/hands on.
5. Flexible but firm.
6. Team versus organizational loyalties.
Core traits and skills that can be developed to successfully perform the job.
1. Systems thinking > Project managers must be able to take a holistic rather than a
reductionist approach to projects.
2. Personal integrity> Project managers must be able to lead and manage themselves
before anyone else.
3. Proactive > Good project managers take action before it is needed to prevent small
concerns from escalating into major problems.
4. High emotional intelligence (EQ)-> Project managers have to have command of their
emotions and be able to respond constructively to others when things get a bit out of
5. General business perspective-> Because the primary role of a project manager is to
integrate the contributions of different business and technical disciplines, it is important
that a manager have a general grasp of business fundamentals and how the different
functional disciplines interact to contribute to a successful business.
6. Effective time management-> Project managers must have the ability to budget their
time wisely and quickly adjust their priorities
7. Skillful politician > Project managers have to be able to deal effectively with a wide
range of people and win their support and endorsement of the project.
8. Optimist-> Project managers must display a can-do attitude....
View Full Document
- Fall '16