Unformatted text preview: Name Kylie Cruse 2
Lesson 3.2: Learning the Key Terms
Directions: Use the termis listed below to fill in the sentence blanks.
are specialized cells in the skin which produce melanin.
2. The stratum lucidum is the clear layer of thick skin found only on the palms of the
hands, fingers, soles of the feet, and toes
Found between the epidermis and hypodermis, the dermis
nerve endings, glands, and hair follicles.
4. Located all over the body, the sebaceous gland produce sebum.
5. The deepest layer of the epidermis is called the _stratum basale
The layer of skin located under the dermis and known as the _hypodermis
7. The sudoriferous alon secrete sweat and are distributed in the dermis over the entire
is a tough protein found in the skin, hair, and nails.
9. A level of somewhat flattened cells, the stratum granulo lies just superficial to the
stratum spinosum and inferior to the stratum lucidum.
10. The integumentary system,
_ is the enveloping organ of the body that includes the epidermis,
dermis, sudoriferous and sebaceous glands, plus hair and nails.
11. The reticular layeris the coat of skin superficial to the papillary layer.
12. The layer of cells in the epidermis superior to the stratum basale and inferior to the stratum
granulosum is called the stratum spinosum
is an oily substance that helps to keep the skin and hair soft.
14. The pigment _melanin
- protects the body against the damaging effects of the
sun's ultraviolet rays.
15. The epidermis dendrit! initiate an immune system response to foreign bacteria or viruses.
16. The epidermis's outer layer is known as the stratum corneum
17. The cells within the epidermis that make keratin are called _Keratingcytes
18. The outer coat of the dermis is called the _papillary layer.
. _Merkel cells are the skin's touch receptors
NOV 0 1 2019
20. The outer layer of skin is called the _epidermis
Copyright by Goodheart-Willcox Co. Inc.
Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology...
View Full Document
- Fall '12
- van tassel