Unformatted text preview: PROTEIN SYNTHESIS WORKSHEET
PART A. Read the following and take notes on your paper:
Protein synthesis is the process used by the body to make proteins. The first step of protein synthesis is called
Transcription. It occurs in the nucleus. During transcription, mRNA transcribes (copies) DNA. DNA is
“unzipped” and the mRNA strand copies a strand of DNA. Once it does this, mRNA leaves the nucleus and
goes into the cytoplasm. mRNA will then attach itself to a ribosome. The strand of mRNA is then read in order
to make protein. They are read 3 bases at a time. These bases are called codons. tRNA is the fetching puppy.
It brings the amino acids to the ribosome to help make the protein. The 3 bases on tRNA are called anti-codons.
Remember, amino acids are the building blocks for protein. On the mRNA strand, there are start and stop
codons. Your body knows where to start and stop making certain proteins. Just like when we read a sentence,
we know when to start reading by the capitalized word and when to stop by the period. Ribosome
PART B. Answer the following questions on your paper:
1. What is the first step of protein synthesis?
Transcription 2. What is the second step of protein synthesis?
Translation 3. Where does the first step of protein synthesis occur?
nucleus 4. Where does the second step of protein synthesis occur?
5. prokaryotic cells Nitrogen bases are read ____
bases at a time.
6. The bases on the mRNA strand are called ____________. anti- codons
7. The bases on tRNA are called ________________. 8. What is the start codon? when body starts to make protein 9. What are the stop codons?
10. A bunch of amino acids when body stops making proteins
put together makes ____________. mRNA DNA PART C. Use your codon chart to determine the amino acid sequence. Remember to read through the
strand and ONLY start on AUG and STOP when it tells you to stop. Follow example below:
DNA AGA CGG TAC CTC CGG TGG GTG CTT GTC TGT ATC CTT CTC AGT ATC
mRNA UCU GCC AUG GAG GCC ACC CAC GAA CAG ACA UAG GAA GAG UCA UAG
protein start - glu – ala –thre – hist – asp -glu-threo-stop
acid 1. acid DNA CCT CTT TAC ACA CGG AGG GTA CGC TAT TCT ATG ATT ACA CGG TTG CGA TCC ATA ATC
mRNA GGA GAA AUG UGU GCC UCC CAU GCG AUA AGA UAC UAA UGU GCC AAC GCU AGG UAU UAG
tRNA protein Met-Cys-Ala-Ser- His- Ala- Iso- Arg- Tyr- Stop 2. DNA AGA ACA TAA TAC CTC TTA ACA CTC TAA AGA CCA GCA CTC CGA TGA ACT GGA GCA
mRNA UCU UGU AUU AUG GAG AAU UGU GAG AUU UCU GGU CGU GAG GCU ACU UGA CCU CGU
tRNA protein Met- Glu- Asp- Cys- Glu Iso- Ser- Gly- Arg- Glu- Ala- Thr- Stop
3. DNA TAC CTT GGG GAA TAT ACA CGC TGG CTT CGA TGA ATC CGT ACG GTA CTC GCC ATC
mRNA AUG GAA CCC CUU AUA UGU GCG ACC GAA GCU ACU UAG GCA UGC CAU GAG CGG UAG
tRNA protein Met- Glu- Pro- Leu- Iso- Cys- Ala- Thr- Glu- Ala- Thr- Stop
4. DNA TAA ACT CGG TAC CTA GCT TAG ATC TAA TTA CCC ATC
mRNA AUU UGA GCC AUG GAU CGA AUC UAG AUU AAU GGG UAG
tRNA protein Iso- Stop
Met- Asp Arg Iso- Stop
5. DNA CTA TTA CGA TAC TAG AGC GAA TAG AAA CTT ATC ATC
mRNA GAU AAU GCU AUG AUC UCG CUU AUC UUU GAA UAG UAG
tRNA protein Met- Iso Ser Leu Iso Phe Glu Stop 6. DNA TAC CTT AGT TAT CCA TTG ACT CGA ATT GTG CGC TTG CTG ATC
mRNA AUG GAA UCA AUA GGU AAC UGA GCT UAA CAC GCG AAC GAC UAG
tRNA protein Met- Glu Ser Iso Gly Asp Stop
7. DNA ACC CGA TAC CTC TCT TAT AGC ATT ACA AAC CTC CGA GCG
mRNA UGG GCU AUG GAG AGA AUA UCG UAA UGU UUG GAG GCU CGC
tRNA protein Met- Glu Arg Iso Ser Stop
8. DNA TAC AGA CGG CAA CTC TGG GTG CTT TGT TCT CTT CTC AGT ATC
mRNA AUG UCU GCC GUU GAG ACC CAC GAA ACA AGA GAA GAG UCA UAG
tRNA protein Met- Ser Ala Val Glu Thr His Glu Thr Ser Glu Glu Ser Stop ...
View Full Document
- Fall '19
- AGA ACA TAA TAC CTC TTA ACA CTC TAA AGA CCA GCA CTC CGA TGA, Met- Glu- Pro- Leu- Iso- Cys- Ala- Thr- Glu- Ala- Thr- Stop, Met- Glu- Asp- Cys- Glu Iso- Ser- Gly- Arg- Glu- Ala- Thr- Stop